or Connect

Posts by holyhelianthus

And this is where I get the sense that organized religion is a hinderance to spiritual growth beyond the acceptable boarders of the institution for those who seek it. I agree with you that churches should define their own limits but is it then possible to be an active participant in that church and reach beyond those limits? Will you be shunned? Reprimanded? Doomed to hell? Those are my questions.    To be fair I wasn't raised actively Mormon. As a kid we were inactive...
Of course there are limits, especially to human understanding, but there is a big difference between one's own spiritual limits and the limits set on someone by another person or institution.    As for judgment of those who choose not to push further, I'm not judging them. As I said up there somewhere in my previous post(s) everyone is on a different path going at a different pace. I do not expect anyone to believe what I do or go about it in the same way. That is where...
BTW, PurpleSage, I keep meaning to tell you that the Orthodox church has intrigued me for some time. Thanks for sharing so much of your experience with it. My husband and I looked into it a bit and thought about attending the church in Palm Springs (I believe it is...) but we're just so Mormon in our belief about the nature of God and His children. If only we could push that aside. Honestly, we've expressed that to each other time and time again! If only we didn't...
  Yes, this is my problem as well and where the question came from. Because any organized religion has a set of beliefs and rules and moving beyond those is where we get into trouble because we're, of course, wrong. So how can one reach higher if the box on the lid is shut? The thing is that I don't think a lot of these things are actually heresy. I think that is used far too often when they actually mean "you're not fitting into the institution's box" vs the actual...
Thanks so much, Nicole! You painted a very clear picture for me.    This is so very true. I find myself wanting more more more so that I can know and do and yaddy yadda because I feel if I don't get to everything then I will have missed something important. Except everything has everything else. Really it's so simple. Anywho my point is that different paths lead to the same thing and more to the point all paths are just that- paths. Picking one over the other (or more...
I think we were both just talking around each other. It happens a lot on the internet and a lot with me. :/ No worries!
That's fair enough, PurpleSage, but I was asking a general question and you gave a general answer. That's why I was offering examples that went beyond just one institution. My question was and is is it possible to achieve greater spirituality in an institution that boxes one in? Of course taking into account that one's religion is not the same as one's religious institution (example: Mormonism exists separate from the LDS church) I realize that this question is relative...
Joan of Arc is always the first that comes to mind. But I think St. Joan's martyrdom speaks to a greater issue- when people did not submit to the will of the church in whatever way they were labeled "witch" and burned. Even St. Teresa of Avila faced the Inquisition and was considered controversial.    In the LDS church we have a group called the September Six. Whether or not they are ever considered "good" Mormons again time can only tell but the point is this is not...
I can see this. However when I was talking about "organized religion" I wasn't referring to a meeting of like-minds but more so that with the structure of an institution. A hierarchy. A specific set of rules and beliefs for that group. Like if we all got together, made Nicole our Pastor, and had a long list of rules and beliefs we had to adhere to.      I can absolutely understand this (especially coming from the same religious background). My thought is that it's people...
Exactly! How could it not? I wish I could articulate that feeling to those who don't get where we're coming from.