or Connect

Posts by jennyfah

Tracy, That is great news about calling BC/BS---I did get the feeling that the person I talked to didn't really know what she was talking about. And my midwife uses the same billing service! (Maybe we have the same midwife??) She said she's had pretty good luck with BC/BS paying for at least something because they are a "fee for service provider" (not sure what that means). She has had really good luck getting Medica to pay for homebirth, so if anyone in MN has...
Hugs mama We are planning a homebirth this time *because* of our terrible hospital birth last time---basically the opposite of everything we wanted. I am hoping that this birth will re-empower me and help me find everything I lost as a result of my first birth experience. This time, I get to choose who is present and I have people who will strongly respect my wishes. You need to give birth where you are most comfortable with people that you can trust. I hope you...
Hooray! That is fantastic news! We live in MN too and have BC/BS--fingers are crossed to see how much they will pay because they have a strict "we don't pay for homebirths" policy. (The customer service rep was absolutely incredulous and said "So you mean you're NOT going to have your baby in a hospital?" Yeah, that's the general idea with a HOMEbirth, genius!) Congratulations!!!
We have a friend (never been pregnant, no kids) who is always asking about little things related to our homebirth, like "You know how in the hospital when they keep track of how often the baby poops? Who's going to do that?" She obviously has a really high opinion of what maternity wards in hospitals are like. . . yeah, the nurses are really gonna sit around and count poopy diapers!!! She was also really concerned that the baby would need to be "checked out"...
Not having one. If I'd wanted one, my midwife does offer it as an option, but we talked about it and she thinks the science behind them is rather iffy. I've always thought so too. I think I read somewhere on MDC where someone said, "Hey, let's give a really pregnant woman something super sugary to drink on an empty stomach and then see if anything funky happens!" That made me laugh. There's the classic Henci Goer article on GD and glucose testing, but the name escapes...
Hi there, I'll tell you what I know (though it's not too much!) We are planning a homebirth for April too, and our midwife says she has had pretty good luck getting BC/BS to pay for at least SOME of the fee. She said that BC/BS is a "fee for service" provider (not really sure what that means) so they tend to pay by code, and if you submit the right codes, they tend to pay. Do you have a billing service or someone who will be able to submit codes for you? Also,...
We wash our own, and it's so, so, easy. (Dry pail method, every 2-3 days.) When people from my parents' generation hear about us using cloth they always make faces because they remember the "bad old days" of using cloth when their kids were little. A LOT has changed! The wraps are awesome now, breathable, no pins; the diapers themselves are more absorbant and durable; and best of all, washing machines are much better (more efficient, powerful, faster, etc.) than they...
Every mama I have ever met who's had both Pit induction and natural labor says that Pit labor is MUCH worse---double-peaking contractions, unnaturally hard and long, etc. I was induced with Pit for my first and am hoping that it's true that natural labor is much more manageable! (We are planning a home birth this time.) On a side note, I recommend reading about Dr. Brewer's pregnancy diet. His research has shown that it dramatically reduces preeclampsia, HELLP, etc. ...
Clean? By whose standard? By mine, sure. By my mother's. . . no. BTW, I was ROTFL at the "shoveling snow in a blizzard comment." SO TRUE! Cleaning a house with a toddler awake is pretty much totally pointless. Jen mom to a 27mo ds who's a great "helper" around the house
Hi everyone! I am a long-time lurker (DH is always saying "what are you DOING online, anyway?") and am very thankful for MDC. I'm a SAHM to a sweet, funny, amazing two-year-old boy who keeps me really busy. We are a cloth diapering, EBF, babywearing, no-circ family and we are planning a homebirth in early April '07. (I don't even like to think in terms of EDDs since I went so "late" with DS!) My name ("jennyfah") comes from the way that my Kenyan roommates in...