or Connect

Posts by StormySar

I am 8 wks pregnant with our 7th pregnancy/6th birth (Lord willing) within 8 years.  I have had 4 homebirths with my last four babies, and never had a problem except with my last homebirth after everyone left I began hemorhaging badly.  By the time we realized what was happened I was about to pass out.  An ambulance, manual removal of clots multiple times (holy cow that was excruciating), and D&C later, I am fine.    My husband was completely against a homebirth, and...
I have been told there is an OB who does homebirths around the Detroit area.  Can anyone provide contact info for her?  I  am having no luck googling. Wondering if she's still in the area, if she accepts insurance, and if anyone can recommend her.
My kids are 6, 5, 3, (almost) 2 and (almost) 2 months. Because I have the younger 3 which are quite limited in abilities as far as helping,and I don't want to be 'in the way' as far as keeping an eye on them, we do things that don't involve large crowds, or any crowds at all. We pick up garbage from local parks or on the sidewalks as we go on walks, bake baked goods for bake sales (fund raising for local organizations, good causes,etc.), and consider how we can help...
My dd is 6 and we're working through The Ordinary PArents guide to teaching reading, and using soem readers from progressive phonics. Something I was never quite clear on was - should we advance to the next lesson before my daughter can recognize words by sight, or is sounding them out enough to move on to the next lesson? She remembers common sight words that she sees again and again - the, as, is, etc. and remembers all the rules (silent e, etc.) and blends. She...
I love saxon. It isn't expensive - at least for the teachers manual. I bought K and 1 on amazon for a few bucks a book, used teachers editions. I don't buy the workbooks but duplicate the worksheets that are pictured in the teachers manual. I usually hand-write them on scrap paper, but this year am switching to a notebook so all the papers are kept together easier. The meeting book, IMO, is not necessary. I think you can pretty much figure out what to do without the...
I have a first grader. We are classical educators, and I have our 'stuff' on my blog if you are interested for this year. http://www.motherhoodnaturally.com/closelyspaced/?p=487
My daughter always tells people she doesn't go to school, she's homeschooled! And she says it with such pride and a smile that she's never gotten a mixed response, it's always been positive. She is very proud of our homeschooling and loves to tell anyone about it. Get her excited about it so when she tells people she homeschools, she says it with such happiness that no one will have the heart to give a mixed response to a 5 year old. :-)
What did/are you doing for music for your first grader? I will be getting her into keyboarding lessons because that's currently the only instrument we have, but I wanted to do an introduction to music this year - talking about rhythm, types of instruments, how to read musical notes, types of music, etc. I'm not sure where to go with this, and I don't mind making my own but don't know what is appropriate for first grade.
Quote: Originally Posted by MaryLang Nothing in the garage leaks, it just got a new roof a few years ago and is insulated, but it's just general moisture, like clothing and carseats ect... get moldy. I guess I need to find out what the advantage to moving back would be. Our credit is already trashed, so it wouldn't be saving that. I just see spending an awful lot of money to be back at square one, pay on two mortgages, moving expenses, court costs, and...
Your house can't work for you in a pinch, until you get back on your feet again? I'd get the renters out and move back in. It may not be very comfortable but it may make the most sense so you arent put in this position again. Renting is very risky, and especially with the economy right now I wouldnt risk putting yourself back in this situation again until you have savings built up to cover these things.