or Connect

Posts by carmel23

In that case I would speak directly to the children per the recommendations above.  I've said to other kids (gently, but firmly) "We do not hit,"  for blocking the tunnel ,"please let us pass!" Kids usually respond positively.  :)
  This is probably an extreme--but the more subtle example of shaming that I posted shows a range, both of which I would consider abusive.  And yes, I think it probably was more prevalent and socially acceptable then.  Sad, but true. I think a lot of parents now *do not* want to do that to their child and if they are in diapers for a little longer, then so be it.    *Of course* there are more gentle ways of early potty learning the emphasize parental child connection,...
  Western/US-- see notes below.   Yes. Sounds like my toddler. I think he enjoys peeing on things that are not the potty!  Thank you for posting this.  This is exactly what I was getting at.  I know you are not the only one who went through this.  Sure, diaper companies market diapers and want people to buy as many of them as possible.  But that doesn't mean parents just do it.  Look at formula/nursing usage.  Formula is heavily marketed to new parents--some hospitals...
  Hi,   I was trying to make it clear that I wasn't speaking about cultures that have a long standing practices  of not really using diapers in the first place, i.e. largely non-western cultures. Sorry, I didn't have a lot of time to write that I don't think cultures that don't use diapers (or people who EC and have always done so throughout history) in the first place really have a point where the child is in diapers to be out of diapers. If that makes sense?   The...
The attention span sounds developmentally appropriate, honestly.  A lot of kids don't like to sit and color and play games.   One thing I will say, is that you are not responsible for keeping him entertained, and that it sounds like you are trying to find ways for him to be entertained, but that is really his work.    What about a big bin filled with rice or beans, with little hot wheels, animals, etc.?  Sensory experiences like playing with shaving cream, clay,...
I think maybe parents "trained" their toddlers younger, but also in some cases might have used extreme reward and even punishment, criticism and shaming.  While I don't have any hard data to prove this, and I am not saying that that is what happened to people on this board, I am just drawing conclusions based on the widespread use of these tactics to "discipline" children in the past... This is mainly in western cultures...   but then I am just totally guessing with...
I love the bathtub!  Perfect!  Great story.  I love the pictures, too. 
Great story! 
I think you were wise to decline the breaking of the bags... that probably kept everything from being way too painful and freaky!   What a great story!    Thanks for sharing and enjoy your little one!
Storm Bride, I totally see what you mean.  You're honestly with yourself is very impressive!  I don't like the cocoa cola santa and have trouble with that, too.  I would feel like that is a betrayal, or would feel awkward.  I like how honest you are with yourself!    Of course I don't tell my kids that hobbits are real factual beings, but there is a suspension of disbelief.  If I read the story to a child young enough (many kids under 7?) There wouldn't be that...