or Connect

Posts by UUMom

Quote: Originally Posted by Wugmama Oh, I see. Yeah, I guess for a lot of folks school is free child care. It would be great if all parents could be subsidized to be home with their clildren. I know I sure wish I could afford to quit my job. A homeless shelter is not a home.
If my mother thought we'd find happiness in a big tv, I'd let her get me one and drive her to Best Buy myself. I might or might not sell it. But either way, it would not be an issue I'd choose to fight. If I hated it, it would be some money in my pocket. We have an 19 inch diagonal TV which loses brightness constantly. We don't have cable or netflix. I probably wouldn't mind an actual screen that we could see. I might also ask for a Netflix membership...
Quote: Originally Posted by Wugmama It isn't accurate to say only those w/economic and social privilege can opt out of school. ~Tracy That's 100% false. I can give you just *one* example: I volunteer in a family homeless shelter, and folks with children past infancy are not allowed to recieve benefits without working or putting their kids in school or childcare.
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar;13948393 Okay, this so reminded my of the "Life at Big Bri's House" bit of Breakfast Club... remember that? [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vqlhi3QQw" Wait, I found it[/URL]... starting at about 40 seconds in.... We are not gushy either... maybe that's part of it... Bwahahahaha! I, and I am dating myself here, never saw that movie. I need to get it from the library for my dd. Ooo..it got...
While I enjoy being a parent and helping my family get what they need to thrive, I don't exactly 'clean joyfully'. Oh, I might have when they were teeny. I love changing diapers for instance. I really did. lol Realistically, however, I wouldn't find joy in cleaning if I felt I was the only one doing it. It can be tedious and boring. I think it's perfectly wonderful to help everyone in a family learn that it's not one person's responsibility to pick up. My family...
Quote: Originally Posted by annakiss I respect your honesty and your bravery in being honest.
Quote: Originally Posted by annakiss I found UUMom's post playful and not necessarily rude. Especially as she pointed out liking this family quite well. Yep. The family rocks. They are real. They are gushy, but they are real. they are some of our most favorite people. We've been friends for quite a while. I don't think there is any Holy Grail of Hsing. You use a book, you don't use books, you leave a book in the bathroom without saying...
Quote: Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder I'm just curious- where do you go then when you are looking for a solution to a situation that isn't working? Or do you not have that need? Feel free to PM me. This thread is quite relevant, and very timely for me. I'm looking forward to reading more responses. You mean like the time one of my kids wanted back in school after two years of hsing? And told me 'I prefer the pacing of a...
I have to say that I stopped going to unschooling boards a long time ago. I find most people are not really honest. You post what you want to post and skip over any difficulties and there is all the ridiculous fapping about how using any books at all is a sucker of life and joy. And the Strewing; arguments...omg, please... strewing or not strewing doesn't make or break unscholing. Those were what finally did me in. 1000 posts about whether it's ok to put a book in the...
This is something I never really thought about. My family is not the gushy type. We know a gushy family, they hs, but they are not unschoolers. They are great and we enjoy them. Here's how my teen dd describes them: Breakfast: Good morning, Daddy! Good morning, darlings! Daddy: We're going to the Jam Factory today! Children: Oh, goodie! We love jam! Mommy: It will be such fun! First child: This is such a good breakfast! Second child:...