or Connect

Posts by mamafish9

Not disputing the lists, but in the experience of people on this forum, we don't all have the same sals reactions to the same foods. I don't think there is any such thing as a "definitive" sals list, just guidance. I think Feingold is definitely one way to approach this, but not the only way, and either can involve some trial and error. I'm curious what you mean about "kinds" of salicylates?
Don't do rice milk if you can find a viable alternative - there was a study in the UK recently that showed it has fairly high levels of arsenic. Fine for small amounts, but I wouldn't use it in the quantities you need. Coconut milk has a lot of the medium chain fats that bm has, which is why I suggested it as a possible alternative. Also, I think elecare has some coconut oil in it, so he's likely already been exposed (could be reacting to, but one thing at a...
You've pumped for almost 2 years - not selfish at ALL!!! I'm thinking though that if corn is an issue, temporarily increasing your supply might help get him to "baseline" where he feels more comfortable and might accept more foods. Often reflux is a sign of food intolerances, and his symptoms may have just shifted now to a sore tummy or something else that is harder to see. My son is autistic, I have some idea of how daunting this is, and you have all my...
Try magnesium supps for the ADHD as well - mag deficiency is very common, particularly amongst kids with ADHD behaviors. ETA: Before going gluten & dairy free, I'd try taking out salicylates and dyes/flavors (this is largely Feingold, but you can do it without following the Feingold diet). Here's a guide that tells you what foods are high in salicylates: http://salicylatesensitivity.com/about/food-guide/
Amy, JaneS had success with coconut oil, but for us, it caused strong sals reactions. And it absorbs beautifully through the skin. Try some palm oil on your rash? bigknitwhit, chamomile tea is low sals, if that will satisfy you at all...
Awesome about your DD. If she'll take any oral mag at all, that will help soften her poops. I make these chickpea fritters: http://www.food.com/recipe/chickpea-...onnaise-356902 Not the sauce, just the fritters. For extra fat, dip in mayo (spectrum makes a canola oil mayo that I think would be OK for you?) I don't add the hot pepper sauce, I use green onion for the scallions, any fresh herbs for the parsley (and probably not that much, thyme is good), and I...
Most kids who have "delayed" reactions to foods (which we call intolerances on this forum) can react to any/all parts of a food - so not just the proteins. And if your son reacted to corn, elecare has a ton of it. Food refusal is often a food reaction - their tummies hurt and they turn down food (but want to nurse constantly, because breastmilk temporarily makes things feel better). Dairy, soy, gluten, & corn are the top 4 intolerances, and it sounds highly likely...
Fresh herbs in moderation were not a problem fairly early. Spices were VERY hard to add back in - 1 tsp of cinnamon in an entire loaf of zucchini bread was a problem. Spices & dried herbs are very concentrated (so the sals are concentrated as well) - the fresh herbs seemed to give good flavor in a much smaller amount. Pineapple was not good for us - I think it's high in histamines as well. No two lists of sals foods agree with each other - frustrating, but...
Quote: Originally Posted by bean-e When it's not an issue of food intolerance/allergy, then I think she sleeps more poorly on some night because she did not eat as much as she needed before bed. That means we did not keep on putting food in her mouth when she no longer seems interested. And I did not say that she is waking up at night because she is stubborn. I simply said she is a stubborn child. To reframe, she is a very persistent little...
Quote: Originally Posted by bean-e This might sound horrible to you, but I am expecting her to learn to sleep through it. I have trouble understanding why other children her age can sleep through the whole night without eating, but not her. She has a healthy amount of body fat on her. 25 lb ish for a 16 month old is pretty healthy. My son is 35lbs, plenty big - the blood sugar and protein digestion stuff doesn't mean they need to be small. It...