or Connect

Posts by MissMaegie'sMama

Yep, this. Though it's likely the couple is going to pay a whole lot of money to have a pro shoot their wedding, that's just one individual's (pricey) take on the event. I think most couples really enjoy seeing their guests' perspectives of the wedding. Think of all the couples who place disposable cameras on the tables at their reception. It's a definite bonus to have a guest with serious photography skills add to the couple's collection of photos of their special...
   indeed! I have never heard of someone having a graduation gift registry for college, let alone high school.    I furnished my first place with flea market finds and castoffs!      
    I don't look at it that way. Maybe I'm cynical, but I highly doubt most kids who have just graduated high school thumb through their gift money and think, "Hells yeah, this is gonna help keep my new place nice and cool this summer." Maaayyybe some kids-- possibly ones from families that can't help them as much financially, as the previous poster suggested-- use the money for some responsible purpose, such as paying their college tuition, but I think in a lot of cases...
  Using an independent or locally owned photo shop is a great idea, especially for prints. Do be aware that many small photo labs don't have book printing or binding equipment on-site and often send their photo book printing jobs out to a contractor. This is the case at the locally-owned photo shop where I live. I do use them for jobs such as prints and canvas, which they process on site.   ETA: I see that it was another person who posted about the photo book, and OP is...
I think it's a lovely idea. I would love to have someone give me a nice photograph of my wedding day as a gift!
Yes, I believe the process is automated. Just last night I put together a Snapfish book of my DD's preschool photos, and the site reminded me several times to check my layout and text for errors before pressing the "order" button. Whatever you submit is what they print- no editing occurs on their end. Someone may flip through it quick to make sure all the pages printed properly, but they handle such a high volume of these books that I'd be really surprised if anyone...
IME, it really depends on how close the giver is to the graduate as well as the giver's budget. I've never known kids from "middle class" families to get more than $20-50 as a graduation gift from a family friend. Grandparents or other close relatives might give more, but probably not more than $100.
I hear you on the second dryer. I could have used one when our last dryer broke down a few months ago. I will never again take for granted the luxury of having clean and dry clothes, bedding, and towels as needed!
  Yes, this. And even if they are well-meaning but clueless, you still need a dryer ASAP. I'd pass either way.   Have you tried looking for a place that sells refurbished used machines? Lots of appliance repair shops sell these, and they usually cost less than full retail and come with a warranty. You also might want to try looking at moving or estate sales if a warranty isn't something you need or want.