or Connect

Posts by rainbowmum

Quote: Originally Posted by DharmaDisciple They have this OU book which you can look inside that may help, it also has some others in that scheme. They would need to be set essays to write in order to improve, does Writing Strands have this? Usborne have books but I don't know if they are to young for your girls, also this one They also have Dummies books for grammar Or maybe some GCSE English CGP books that have writing workbooks with answer keys so you...
Thanks guys, I just found this fab site : http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/e3/words/grammar/ good 'ole BBC! So I have some plans to go through stuff with them, one of them wants quick results but a start is a good place to begin. I am doing this stuff earlier with my younger ones and leaving the unschoolong behind I'm afraid.
Quote: Originally Posted by Rivka5 It seems like you've been posting similar concerns about your children's literacy for a few years now. What have you already tried, and how did it work out? Have you ever thought about sending them to school? School is not an option, they lead busy full happy lives and would not want to go. Yes we have literacy struggles. I think the eldest 2 are dyslexic but can't get help till college. We have tried various...
Hiring any kind of tutor is just not possible as I have no spare cash whatsoever. It would have to be something we can work through together or they could do independently. In the UK, kids do exams at 16 then go on to college for about 2 years, do more exams then progress onto university. No college will let under 16's go to do courses, and then when they do they assess their literacy and numeracy even if they have qualifications. I know they could get help at college...
My children have been mostly unschooled which has meant engaged kids who are lovely people.. however they are at an age where they are looking to go to college (like the end of high school, kids here in the UK go at 16). Nearly all home-schooled kids want to go at 16 and mine are no different. Their literacy is not great though. Spelling is difficult, punctuation and grammar need some work and they need to learn eg. how to write an essay. Most books with this in are...
Okay, parents with an ex... how many hours per week does your ex have the kids? and what if the kids don't want to go? does it work differently if the kids are older? what is reasonable? and how flexible are you with the arrangement?
The college I refer to here is where kids go at 16 and sit courses. She wants to do performing arts and can start at a really low level (often full of kids who have bad behaviour and don't want to be there) but at a higher level with some qualifications. Of the home-schooled kids I know, approx 99% choose to go on at 16 to academic/college qualifications so I am also expecting this with my younger ones which is why I think I need to make a change in our home-schooling...
Please be gentle with me and no flames as I am having such a hard time right now. My kids have always been unschooled and we have such a good time together, out at activities, at home etc. I have an amazing family and my kids are wonderful, happy, chatty people. However, despite modeling it and living it, all 4 of them have poor literacy. 2 of them really struggle with math. But they are happy. My eldest is now starting some courses as she wants to go to college next...
Thanks for the links. The problem is I have NO money to spend on curriculum, I have to use the books we have, libraries or websites. Do you have any links for those?
I think it was posted on these forums, a website with educational activities/plans and if you were prepared to comment/evaluate as you use it, you can get a years free membership. I reigstered but can't find my bookmark for it! Can anyone point me in the right direction...? Thanks x