or Connect

Posts by rainbowmum

Quote: Originally Posted by wendyjoe It's not your job to make sure he has a good time with the kids OR that the kids have a good time with him, so stop making it your job. You're taking that responsibility away from him by allowing him into your place. It's HIS job to find fun and interesting ways to be with his kids - it's HIS responsibility to deal with the fact the kids think his house is boring - it's all HIS job. Now granted you might have to deal...
Quote: Originally Posted by philosophicalmama Ugh- I totally get this. My stbx wants to come over have dinner and read books to the girls to sleep- and call that all of his visitation. Finally last week I said fine if thats what you would like to do and went out to dinner with a friend. When I came back- I had to explain once again that I understand that he loves our girls- but that this can't fly anymore- this is a separation- talk about frustrating-...
It's complicated but then I guess all the posts on this board are lol. I am a SAHM to my 4 kids. Their Dad has always been around when he chooses to (more so now he is older than when the kids were young). But here is my problem. He turns up when he wants, stays as long as he wants, goes when he wants. My biggest problem is he is used to coming in the house and hanging out here - making brews, using the internet, hanging out with the kids - like a husband would. This...
My twin sister (who may read this as she posts on here but I know she won't mind) has recurrent psychotic depression. She spent a lot of last year in hospital and is back in as I type.. although she thinks she is coming home today....but the doctor has not yet said that! I try really hard to understand mental illness but I struggle to wrap my head aound it. I'm not saying it is as easy as choice but I wonder why she can't just put energy into fighting depression...(and I...
How much housework - cleaning/clearing-up/tidying do you do on the average day? Do you use a system? Currently I spend most of my weekend cleaning/tidying only for the house to look dreadful again by Tuesday. Because we are so busy in the week it is hard for me to get anything other than the dishes washed and laundry done daily. I am drowning in it and need some advice so that I myself can get a break and also not lose my whole weekend to house-work. What do you do? Do...
I have mostly unschooled my kids but over the last year or so I have started to add more structure as I do think certain things important - like learning times tables, being able to spell. My kids have not taken to this change easily (they would rather be at screens gaming!) even though at most we only do bookwork for about an hour a week. I wish I knew how to keep it all fun but is it possible that sometimes it won't always be fun? What I mean is that paper maths may...
I wouldn't go back to eating meat but maybe fish one day. I suppose I would have to get over any mental issues I have about it, ya know worrying I would throw it all back up lol. As a child (raised omni) I only really ate fish fingers as my Mum would serve us fish from the market and I just remember all the bones in my mouth. Eugh! But I don't really know which fish would be the least fishy tasting? And I don't think I could chew meaty ones. Any advice on which ones are...
I have used reading reflex with my kids and think it is a good book. After quite a way through the book we also did some whole word recognition. Although lots of folk on here will tell you not to worry, kids will learn to read, I personally didn't find that. My dd1 read at 10. My dd 13 is not comepletely fluent yet (maybe dyslexia). I started phonic instruction with the 2 younger ones (6 and 9) who can both read some bits. For me I wish I had started some instruction...
I have been vegetarian for 24 years and was vegan for 10 but currently am back to being vegetarian. I recently started to look at my diet. Now, firstly I am sure most people can live well on a balanced veggie/vegan diet but I am concerned that my diet may be missing bits essential for my health. I started having some organic cow's milk and lately wondered about consuming small amounts of fish. I would like to know if you were veggie/vegan, why are you not any longer?...
Thanks for all your replies. Here in the UK kids at 14 start studying (at school but most home-ed kids too) GCSE's. At school you would take 2 years to do them and finish compulsory education at 16. You can then go on to college at 16 to do other courses. The problem is colleges are so fixed in their schooling that they all want kids to have maths and english GCSE even if you are doing an art based course. I will offer to structure dd if she wants but in the past I...