or Connect

Posts by rainbowmum

Quote: Originally Posted by alima Children learn to read when they are ready to learn, no matter how they are taught, or whether they are directly "taught". In theory I used to agree with this but am not sure any more. I think children need some form of reading instruction which is easier at a slow gentle pace from a younger age (5?) to enable it to click. Also surely there would be no illiteracy if this was the case.
Hi guys, thought I'd share this beautiful video of home-educated kids made here in the UK. Click here (You tube link). It really warmed my heart and made me smile and also nearly cry with emotion. Oh to have had that free happy childhood where you can just BE you. Enjoy xxxxxx
She is currently reading Playful Parenting. Must dig out my copy too as I haven't read it yet. What advice would they suggest for dealing with this issue? Something you can do at that moment the behaviour occurs?
I am writing this for a friend (I really mean that btw!!). My friend is an AP but is having severe issues with her youngest dd 's behaviour. Her dd is 7 and she has a 16yr old sisterl - who doesn't get on with her and is often mean verbally to her. She also has a 3 year old boy. The thing is she says that whilst she has read many AP parent books, which obviously work on the praise of good behaviour, none of them explain how to discipline or deal with bad behaviour when...
As part of our daily homeschool routine we like to get out and have a walk. But I am struggling with my 5 year old who seems to find it very boring and tiring. He whines and moans when we have been walking for about 5 minutes, that his legs are tired. We only do a gentle stroll that takes about half an hour but I need ways of making it more fun for him. I know this wouldn't be a problem if we were with a group of his friends so ways of making our daily walk a joy not a...
Hi guys, may I join ya? We have always unschooled but are heading right now in a very different direction. It takes a certain type of person to unschool and I have realised over the years that is not me. So I am currently planning more structure to the point of planning our curriculum. I have given myself til the beginning of September to organise it. It will be fleixble and fun though. The kids are happy as long as they are doing stuff with me - even "school" type stuff....
I can't buy a book but would love to hear from you Mom's any fab vegan muffin recipes you have. I am thinking of doing lots of baking so come on and share Thanks xxxx
Do you mind if I ask a question WRT reading aloud to your kids. Do you have a set time in the day tht you do this? How long do you read for? What if a kid loses interest or looks bored? Thanks guys
How is it better? Well it is really not as difficult or as scary as I thought it would be. Sometimes the idea of having the sole responsibility for a child's education can be daunting especially if you take over from where school has left off. As mine have never been to school I have had plenty of time to get used to that! How is it worse? The only down-side really is my house is mostly trashed - but that is evidence of how much fun the kids have had Also if you are...
My house is sooo full of stuff. I have a theory that most home-schoolers have way more resources at home because their kids are there most of the time, than families whose kids are at school. Every room in my house has bookcases, games, art and craft stuff, toys ....the list is endless. Does anyone de-clutter regularly? Do you have a good storage system? The problem I have is if I think of getting rid of something and I get it out, it gets used so it stays. This always...