or Connect

Posts by avaylee

I have been thinking that my LO is in the process of giving up her nap, but now I am not so sure. Some background... around 10m, she went from two naps to one, quite happily. She is a great sleeper at night (co-sleep, she wakes once or twice to nurse, if that). About six months ago -- about 20m in age -- it appeared that she was giving up her nap completely. She would wake around 8am, and crash around 8pm. (As an aside, that was in the winter, where the sun in...
I hope this discussion is still going on, because I could use some folks to bounce ideas off of. For example, Kohn talks about observation and queries for your kid, like "why did you decide to do x instead of y" or "what big circles you have drawn", etc. We're doing fine with observation but at just over two years old, what/why/how aren't questions that my kiddo can answer very often. At this toddler age, are there other questions I can ask to engage her, or is it...
Why can't you just listen to me?? When I ask you to do something like put your shoes on the correct feet, it's not to torture you, it's because I don't want your feet to hurt. Could you please just do something when I ask, instead of ignoring me to the point that I want to scream? I don't ask you to do things just because it sounds like fun, and I almost always give you a reason. Please. Just. LISTEN. Phew.
Quote: Originally Posted by Nikola's_Mommy Just wondering has anyone seen the dvd and if you've read the book, is it worth getting the dvd as well or is it pretty much the same thing? DH and I watched the DVD (from the library) and ended up purchasing the book. It's been a great reference and there are more examples to fully flesh out Kohn's ideas. I would recommend both, if possible. But for friends short on time, I've been recommending the...
I haven't participated in the rest of the discussion, but my DH and I are working through this book right now. So many of the ideas really resonate with us, but we are both struggling with this idea of not giving praise. We definitely see what Kohn is saying, but I think it's so much a part of our cultural anatomy to say things like "Wow, that's amazing" or "I think that is so beautiful". I think we're trying to mitigate this a little by adding "What do you...
Another Seattleite... although I hail from the Eastside. SAHM with another two year old as well! Welcome welcome!
I attended a Kadampa center for about six months and had a very similar experience. That said, I'm also new to all of this and have/had never tried any other lineage in a formal way. "Bookstore Buddhist" is what my friend refers to in regards to herself, and I feel very similar at this point. I really liked the center and the few people (there were only about five attendees each week), but I couldn't get past some of the history of this particular lineage. When I...
I have a friend that runs a tea shop and she turned me on to Rooibos for my little one. It's used in other cultures to help infants with colic. It's also caffeine free. My DD still prefers that to juice. (No sweetener or milk, but that's how I drink my tea anyhow.) In addition, we used chamomile soaked frozen washcloths for her to chew on when she was teething... worked like a charm on those last night teething sessions. She still likes a little chamomile at night...
Pace Produce (on Bellevue Way, where the u-pick blueberry farm is) sells raw honey from a local (Bellevue) producer. I think it's up to $9.59 a pint. You can also call the bee keeper and pick it up at his home directly for... $8.00 a pint? $8.50? Something like that. he's in a residential neighborhood and leaves some honey on the curb for folks to just "drop by". The Knotweed honey was AWESOME. I tried to make that pint last for the six months that the produce stand...
Most of the answers will lie in what state you are in (recourse v. non-recourse), as well as if this is an original loan vs. a refinance or HELOC. Many of the current regulations for not paying on the difference depend on what is being written off by the bank... a loan for the original purchase or a line of credit to pay down other debt are treated in very different ways. I would HIGHLY recommend checking out loansafe.org for lots of helpful information. Good luck to you.