or Connect

Posts by ktarsha

I have to confess that I use only disposable diapers. I used nearly all cloth with my older son, and was using cloth when my little guy was a baby, but I just couldn't keep it up once the nasty toddler poop started. I still have my old stash sitting in a bin at the edge of the living room, and sometimes he'll ask for "the blue diaper" or whatever happens to be on top, so I guess we're at about 99.9% of the time in disposables.   I also use the Clorox disinfectant wipes a...
Subbing, because I'm interested in ideas for my 7-year-old son. He has done some very simple stitching - I cut out random shapes in varying sizes, and he stitched them one on top of the other (and was so proud of his work that he still has it hanging on the cork board over his bed!). But once he gets more comfortable with the machine, I'd like him to be able to make things he can use or give as gifts. I love the pillow idea; I do patchwork, so I think he'll like making...
I'm home alone with the little one about 9-10 hours on M-F; 6 hours on T-Th, when he has preschool; and 12-13 on W when my husband goes to choir practice. My older son is with us after he gets home from school, so I'm alone with the two of them about 2-3 hours most days, and about 5 hours on choir nights.
I sort of dropped off the forum several years ago, but I recently decided to drop back in again. Since no one will remember me, I figured I'd reintroduce myself     I'm Kathryn, from just outside Nashville, Tenn., 43 years old, working part-time from home, married, with two little boys. I think my last post was March 2010, right about the time I found out I was pregnant again. After a rocky start to the pregnancy (I bled and spotted for most of the first trimester and was...
I don't see why not! Just add your kitchen scraps, newspapers, leaves, etc., and let it do its thing. It might take a while longer for the things in a pile to decompose and turn into compost than it would if they're in a bin or whatever, but it will eventually happen. I think the main thing is that you probably don't want the grass clippings in your compost if the landlords treat the yard with chemicals, especially herbicides. Fresh grass clippings are considered...
Thank you, everyone, for the encouragement! I'm still worried (hey, that's what I do best - worry), but at least I feel more positive about it all, and even kind of excited. I know he's still young for formal schooling - right now we're letting him learn through fun things like reading books together and playing games. And thank you, Lillian, for the links. From one of those links, I found another thread where several people mention how they have to work at overcoming...
Thanks... I figured it had probably been covered before, but I wasn't sure what terms to use to search for it in the forum.
I'm very much sold on the idea of homeschooling - there are so many things about it that appeal to me! For one thing, it seems that my son (just turned 4) needs time to decide that he's ready to share or to work on new information or skills. For example, I bought him a dry-erase tracing board, and I asked if he could show me how to trace the letters. He refused. A few days later, he pulled it out all on his own, and started tracing away. After his gymnastics class the...
I'm getting over a cold - not a particularly bad one, and not the flu, just a common cold. Not a big deal, except that, according to the ovulation test, I'm due to ovulate in the next day or so. Apart from the possibility of him catching my cold, I have a feeling that my husband will object - as he's done in the past - saying that the egg might have been compromised by my being sick. I know that sickness can delay ovulation, but could it really affect the egg itself?
Quote: Originally Posted by sam1980 Are they bitter, or just not sweet enough? If they aren't sweet enough, you need to try leaving them in the ground longer. Don't harvest until after a frost, or even a few frosts. This makes them sweeter. If it is actually true bitterness, it could be the soil you have. You can find out what soil you have and replace elements with compost and other things in the future. I definitely need to improve...