or Connect

Posts by Mommabelle

Hi there, I had a similar situation that I put on the 1st grade tribe. I think it probably is best to do what you suggested in telling the teacher you would reinforce it in a more meaningful way. However, I decided I am to tired to reinvent the wheel at this point and we are at a new school, so if we get extra homework beyond the 10 min for first grade...I do it. This week we did not have extra homework, but last week we did and I told her every single answere and...
1xmom..my daughter loves to read too. I would like to talk to my daughters teacher too. I never see the teacher and I have no idea what is going on in the classroom or how she's doing. I know what she can do and she's doing fine, and really that is good enough for me, but it would be nice to know how it is at school. Maybe I will just start emailing the teacher so I can get updates. Off to carpool!
We are getting first progress reports today. I actually don't care about grades and decided not to worry this year. I'm not actually worried, but still I have thought about it on and off this morning. I think for some people grades are relevant to what they know and for others really no indication. My son is only 4, but I think from his personality grades will be a little bit of an indicator, but my daughter is like me...she's a dreamer and grades won't be a big factor...
I can really relate to your daughter. I transitioned from Montessori to 3rd grade (a very long time ago!) and it was very hard. I was very used to being independent....for instance I had no idea that one had to "ask" to go to the bathroom...so I didn't! I had no concept of how to take a spelling test and I made a 10 on my first one! LOL..I could not sit still and would do backbends in my chair and so on etc... My brother, transtitioned to public school in 1st grade and...
Thanks for the info UCCmama. I'm still not sure what to make of core knowledge..they are using it in conjunction with International Bacc. program..they do have lots of art and science...we will see where it goes. Flyingspaghettimom..I am quite tempted to try your recommendation. We are new at the school and it's private so I'm not wanting to start any flames at the moment...I sure would like to try it though. One of my husbands cousins did that at her daughters school...
1st grade Mommies..I hear you...it is hard. I really am not the type to homeschool, but I still really don't like school. I thought we just had 10-20 min of homework a day, but turns out we are getting these little worksheets every day..I had no idea what they were! I finally emailed the teacher and she said they are extra homework! I'm kinda peeved, to say the least. I think kids should be outside playing when they come home. I've decided I'm way too old to fight...
Has anyone heard of Core Knowledge? They are using this curriculum guidline at my daughters (and sons) school. They seem to incorporate alot of science (which my daughter loves, but just wondering if anyone else had heard of or had any experience with this?
We are in the 5th week of school and have our second list of words for spelling test. There are 5 words a week. Such as, Can, Play, had etc.. She has one math page a week. It is amazing how schools are so different!
Hi all..I've been lurking here since school started! My daughter started 1st grade a month ago. She seems to be adjusting pretty well. It seems like they now have 10-20 min of homework each night. It has taken awhile for me to adjust to the new schedule. (My son goes to Pre-K 3 days a week) I still miss the kids..or it just feels wierd to not be with them. My daughter got in the car today and said.."Mom do you know what Sept 11 is?" MMMmm. I have never discussed...
After researching about raw milk I finally took the plunge about 2 months ago. We love it now! We usually get our milk from the same place, (sounds like the same place Kimbernet uses), occasionally we will get it from another farm but that is because they sell other products that I like and it's convenient. My husband was very wary about raw milk as he grew up around commercial dairy farms. Commercial dairy is really different though. I think he's seen all my info and...