or Connect

Posts by Katana

Like a PP said, public school will be a never ending battle for you. Most places don't have any kind of "gifted" program until third or fourth grade. Usually fourth grade. So for K-3, you will most likely have to advocate and argue your way for extra challenging things for your child. They don't care what you say your child can do, they need test results. If you bring him to a consultation, or try to describe him, most likely you'll just get a glazed look. Every...
I found that by letting ds stay up till between 11:30 p.m and midnight, he would then sleep through to the morning. Mostly. He's 10 now, I still remember when he was 2, and would be up at 3:30 a.m, as awake as the rest of the world is at 3 in the afternoon. : Dd2 started the same thing, right around age 2. I didn't even fight it, just let her stay up later too. She's usually down by 11 p.m., she needs just a little more sleep then he does. Other parents are...
Does anyone know if there are any doctors in the north western suburbs of Chicago (Vernon Hills, Libertyville, Grayslake area) who accept the All Kids payment plan and who are friendly to delayed/not vaxing patients? If there's no one in the suburbs, are there any in Chicago, or Evanston? I know Home First doesn't take All Kids. Are there any other practices like it who do? Thanks so much for any help.
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. I do think age and slow but steady exposure to "safe" social situations helps a lot with this kind of thing. But, for the most part, as others have said, you can't change who your ds is, at his core. My dd1 is my introvert, although she's not as introverted as I was/am. When she was younger, as long as she was with ds, (crazy extroverted) she did okay in social situations. So, I did a lot of mixing of their social lives. It...
I'm just nodding my head to all of this. My dd1 is my most v/s, and just don't even try the memorization route. Like a previous poster mentioned, if we counted with objects, she got it. We would line up her favorite colors of crayons, and count that way. Then, it clicked. Also, I learned one day, randomly, that if I set up flash cards in order, where she could see the pattern, like 2+2=4, 2+3=5, 2+4+6, it clicked right away. But she had to see all the cards for...
Quote: Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua DD walked at 11 months and never crawled. Any other non-crawlers out there? I'm getting sick of people telling me that dd will have academic and coordination issues. She's 3 now and out-climbs every kid her age and has incredible balance. She's also a giftie who loves learning. Oh, the misplaced judgment. : Ds never crawled. I was told the same thing. He's 10 now, and over 5 feet tall. He is...
Calidris, I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Mind Ware. It's a site for all kinds of toys that challenge the mind, and every other part of the body. I love all the building stuff. It amuses them for hours. (No easy task). Ds's third grade teacher recommended it, and thank goodness that he did. http://www.mindwareonline.com/MWESTO...aspx?&SG=PMDG1
Quote: Originally Posted by Periwinkle Oh no no no. I would go insane in that house. : It hurts my brain to look at those pictures.
I'm a twin, born at 32 weeks, and identified as gifted when I was 2. I was slower with things like crawling, sitting, walking and standing. About 3-4 months behind. But with reading, writing, memory, I was very advanced. I was reading by the time I was 3 (self taught). I started to write when I was 4. I didn't do so well in math, although geometry was a breeze. I needed speech therapy for a lisp and some other articulation sounds. My twin sister is not gifted,...