or Connect

Posts by dswmom

Sugar, sugar everywhere; yep, it's even in pickles!!! I was putting one on my son's plate the other day, looked at the ingredients just because I look at everything now, and there it was. I was so mad. Another note on artificial sweeteners--they are dangerous. My brother in law used to drink diet cokes all the time and is a runner. His chiropractor gave him several articles that showed him clear evidence that he needs to stay away from it. He was having terrible leg...
Holy Moly! Thank you for all the great recipes and books. I'm going to make some of these tasty treats this weekend! I'll let you know how the family responds
I'd check the V-8 juice ingredients...isn't sugar added to that too? For some reason I remember it was. Maybe not anymore. Good work everyone!!
Muppet729 you made me think of something my guy said when he was younger that used to crack people up too. When he was finished with one side he'd sit up, pat the side of the other breast and say, "switch sides". My mom and grandmother would laugh and laugh. I laughed myself when I heard it the first few times. Nothing like a baby knowing what he wants!! :LOL
Quote: Originally Posted by cathe I have lots of recipe that don't use any refined sugar but use things like maple syrup or agave nectar - all whole grain flour and stuff - do you want any of those? Thanks Cathe! Would love some recipes that use agave nectar. For me, maple syrup is still too much. Not that I sit around all day and eat baked goods :LOL , but when I prepare them, I'd like to know that they are as healthy as possible and not...
I just saw the thread on using whole wheat flour to make cookies, but I'm desperately trying to keep sugar and all it's nasty counter parts out of my family's diet, but am not coming up with many sugar free recipes that also use whole wheat flour or other flours that aren't processed. Any suggestions?
Yeah Sarah!!! We snack on cheese sticks, carrots with "dressing to dip" as my little man says and cucumbers and lots of different fruits. I try to eat a handful of blueberries a day (powerful antioxidant and helps suppress aging too ). We also are a little nutty around here ---walnuts, pine nuts, pecans, peanuts, cashews, pistachios (all unsalted with no additives...as natural a state as you can get them in is best). I actually did just read that it's even better...
Got this book from a yard sale this weekend, heard Dr. Perricone, a dermatologist, speak on Oprah about ways to help you look and feel younger through diet, and so far his book is reitterating all I've learned about getting healthier. He did comment on sugar and thought these comments could serve as a motivator and help you all endure your quest to become sugar free: "We have to understand and accept this simple but painful fact of life: Sugar can be toxic. Ingesting...
My sugar intake has been dwindling since Wed. I am feeling a strong urge right now to dip into the cookie jar and eat some Newman's ginger snaps (they ARE organic :LOL), yeah, yeah, I know that organic does not necessarily equate to good for you, particularly if the organic ingredients are side by side the ole cane sugar, white death, crack stuff! Just wanted to pass on to you ladies something that has helped me in this battle...reading. The more I read about how bad...
I just finished the first chapter...so while it's fresh, here's my summary. The author began seeing a common disconnect between the parents and children in her practice (counseling/therapy sessions). She determined it was the result of our cultural need to overindulge and overprotect our children to a fault. After some soul searching, she embarked on a deep study of her Jewish faith and took to heart (and to her practice) the parental and personal guidance...