or Connect

Posts by dswmom

Quote: Originally Posted by Mama Jewel Not only does he not like us, he hates living in our house! There is nothing that can prepare you for the coldness of those words. I can imagine how cutting those words must be. I mentally prepare myself for them, but there's nothing like the real thing. Sorry you are going through this with your son.
I've been thinking about you and your family a lot since reading your post. I'm glad you and your son had a better day together. I think developing a healthy relationship with our children really boils down to being conscientious--thinking about our actions and our reactions to our children and recognizing how they effect behavior. As for your dh, based on what you said about his response to your son, I'd get him reading as much as possible. It's not that there is some...
Quote: So how do you deal with unacceptable behavior when the child is obviously tired? I'd say do whatever you can to keep him entertained. Is it just not possible for him to go to sleep any earlier than 5 or is it that he'll fight a nap and finally crash later in the day? Sounds to me like he still needs a little more rest during the day or an earlier bed time! Good luck
I have this discussion with myself all the time. Before having kids, I was all about doing things right and getting it perfect. I worked hard, I studied hard, I gave everything 110%. I even thought about NOT having kids, even though I love children, have a degree in child psychology, and have a "natural" way with them, because I was so worried about not getting it right once I became a parent. Needless to say, I am a parent now and so happy that I shed those fears and...
It sounds like your son is dealing with a lot of changes in his life right now and is having a difficult time with the transition of everything. Especially if he is "used" to yours and the nanny's style of parenting versus dad. Kids are so sensitive and pick up on even the smallest of changes and with all that you mentioned going on, I can imagine how overwhelmed he must feel. My immediate response...let him have his way. Not when it is physically impossible or when...
I'm just curious...I'm an attached parent, an AP parent, or whatever you want to call it and I am seeing beautiful results with my son who is almost 3. He is funny, happy, sensitive, intuitive, loves adults, loves to play, sticks by his parents, seeks approval (in a healthy way), asks our advice and so on. I want this to remain the case forever! Will it? Of course I know you can't answer that question about my child, but I am wondering how things have turned out for...
I don't have a pre teen or teen yet, but I am reading a book right now that speaks to this "issue" of not liking parents. It's called, Hold onto Your Kids by Gordon Neufeld. I feel like I am his publicity agent, which I am not, because I want to recommend it to everyone, but it is so insightful and thought provoking about our culture and how our children have been living a peer-oriented life resulting in a rejection of parents. I'd seriously recommend reading it! His...
It's funny how contradictory people can be. With my son, we always hear how happy he is, how friendly he is and how smart he is, but let us tell people that he's never spent one night away from his mom (he's almost 3) and I'm looked at like I have 3 heads. Duh...can't you see a correlation people!? ebethmom: when someone says "your child is so attached to you" again, just say, "Yep, like nature intended. Isn't it great?"
I'd say the "problem" with a pacifier is when it is constantly used to quiet a fussy baby without regard to the child's acutal need for closeness, food etc. Other than that, I think it can serve a purpose and can be a helpful fill in for the mom when times warrant it.
I don't know how to do that quote thing, but I totally agree with quietplease who said: "I think it's just more of the weirdness Western culture has about dependence and independence." Our culture is fixated on pushing our children to be independent. I think the driving force behind the violence and disconnect in our society is the fact that kids are being forced to "grow up" as soon as the pop out of the womb. I try so hard not to praise a child for being...