or Connect

Posts by cathe

One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia   Excellent book about three African American girls in the 60's who are sent to spend the summer in Oakland, CA with the mother who abandoned them. The girls are spend their days at a Black Panther summer camp or on their own, while there mother writes poetry and basically wants the least to do with them possible. This was a wonderful, original view of a tumultuous time and I just fell in love with the three daughters. This...
Mister Death's Blue-Eyed Girls by Mary Downing Hahn   Creepy story about two teen girls murdered based on a real life event in the author's life.
The Great Wall of Lucy Wu by Wendy Wan-Long Shang   Sweet middle-grade novel about a Chinese-American girl named Lucy who's sixth grade year does not go according to plan. Her grandmother's long lost sister visits from China and Lucy has to share her room with the old woman. She feels like no one understands her and her love for basketball and puts up a wall both literally and figuratively to isolate herself from her family and her great aunt. But little by little,...
In the Neighborhood by Peter Loenheim   Great food for thought in this book about a man who endeavors to get to know his neighbors and see if they can create a real community.
Cosmic by Frank Cottrell Boyce     Liam is 12-years-old but looks like he's 30 . . . so when he wins a contest to be the first to try a new amusement park, he gets a friend to pose as his daughter, tricks his parents into thinking he's on a GATE field trip (didn't really buy how easily he did that), and heads to China. Then when he finds out only the "kids" get to ride--with one adult chaperon, he tries to get voted as the best dad to accompany the kids on the...
The Other Life by Ellen Meister   Interesting premise of a women who can go through portals to an alternate life. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the book. The writing was uneven and the story slow--plus there were too many unanswered questions. Is there just one other life she can go to or a whole bunch of them for every choice she's made? What about the other people affected, do they have other lives? 
  Because of Mr. Terupt by Rob Buyea   Mr. Terupt is a new fifth grade teacher whose compassion and innovation capture the admiration and love of all of his students and it seems like it will be the perfect year as the students work to make their teacher proud. But after a tragic accident, his lessons are really tested when the students have to decide if they have really learned the lessons of compassion and forgiveness.   This was a wonderful book that gets...
Cold Cereal by Adam Rex   A middle-grade novel about a cereal company stealing the magic from real leprechauns, rabbits, and vampires to make it's cereal addicting and eventually take over the world . . . I liked the premise but the book wasn't for me.
Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook   Teen novel about a girl Isobel who's mother suddenly marries and the move to a creepy mansion on an island. Isobel starts getting ghostly visitations and has to find out what the ghost is trying to tell her before her new stepfather has her committed to a mental institution. Didn't do much for me.
Happy February!   The Paris Wife by Paul McLain   Wonderful, wonderful novel about Ernest Hemingway's first marriage -- told from the point of view of his wife Hadley Richardson. It was all about life in Paris (and Europe) while Hemingway tried to make it as a writer. and his relationships with the other expatriates there (Stein, Pound, Fitzgeralds, etc.). Beautifully written and so interesting and heartbreaking . . . I'm going to recommend this book to my...