or Connect

Posts by KittyKat

My baby is due next month, and I am seeing the midwives at Intown MIdwifery. I hope to waterbirth at AMC assuming I make it there in time!   The hospital certainly isn't impressive. The "waterbirth class" I was required to take in order for the hospital to "allow" me to waterbirth was taught by a person I cannot help but consider completely incompetent, and the class material itself was ridiculous (seriously, they listed negatives about waterbirth, and one of the...
I once had a cute little guy from my church come up to me while I was nursing my baby in a sling.   He wanted to see her, being a naturally curious and affectionate little kid. I told him right now she's eating. Now, this boy was breastfed, and so were all of his older brothers, BUT his cousin was being cared for in their home while his mommy worked, so what he saw every day was Cousin drinking from a bottle.   So he asked where her bottle was?   I told him...
My most recent hospital birth, I arrived in a comfy knit dress, and I was in really late labor. The gown was there, I think, but nobody was trying to *command me* to change into it. In fact, the nurse was quite possibly the coolest labor nurse I have EVER met.   Anyhow, I had to have the monitor for a few minutes, because I had just arrived and it was necessary to see how baby was doing. I fully agreed with this, but asked if it could be done with me standing up....
"OOOPS?!"   REALLY?   Wow I bet their head would explode if they saw me out with my FIVE kids and big ol' pregnant belly.   If someone is getting too personal, you can always come out with the old standby "Why would you ask that?"   It's not rude, but it places the burden on them of explaining why they would think that was an appropriate question.    
I got horrid leg cramps in past pregnancies, even eating bananas or other potassium-rich foods every day.   Nothing made any difference, exercise, stretching, nothing.   And then I started taking a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed. 2:1 cal:mag ratio, as long as I took it every day, NO cramps. BONUS: This also got rid of my horribly annoying pregnancy insomnia, which would have me waking up to pee at 2 am and unable to fall back asleep until 4-5 AM. I...
It only costs a few bucks to get a long fabric wrap from a fabric store. You can get knitted or woven material, depending on your preference. For the average fabric width, you would need to split the fabric down the length of it, but this is good because you then end up with two wraps instead of just one!   I've found suitable wrap carrier material on the $1 table before. You don't even HAVE to sew a hem on it, if you don't want to.   I've also scored a used Maya...
Every child is different, and every family is different. What works for one family, and one child, will not work for every family, and every child.   My oldest kid LOVED to sit in his carseat and bouncy seat. He would kick both his legs as hard as he could, and bounce/rock himself, and have a grand old time. None of my other kids were like this. I've NEVER met another kid like this, ever. I seriously did not know how "easy" he was as a baby.   Some kids love to...
I have participated in several online groups over the years.   The ones that have been the most helpful, and enjoyable, have been the ones where moderation happened, but for the most part it was minimal.   If someone said something you didn't like, you were free to disagree with them. If a discussion got heated and emotional, you were free to take a break, or report any posts you felt crossed the line. If someone continually posted inflammatory or trolling...
Wow! Very interesting.   I am hoping this leads to more constructive conversation here. I know some thoughtful posters left because they felt they couldn't say what they thought, even respectfully, without risking being banned.   I've experienced several different message boards. The ones that seem to have the "healthiest" community are ones where disagreement and discussion are tolerated, even encouraged, as long as it doesn't move from "discussion" to insults...
Editing for update!