or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by katheek77 : What does that have to do with the OPs question: If you utilize a preschool/daycare for your young child (not school-aged) for the primary purpose of giving yourself a break from parenting...etc. Yeah, that kinda confused me, as well. While it's fine and good not to 'believe' in something, the fact that pre-school does exist, and some mothers choose to use it, is the topic of this thread, no?
Yeah. I have expectations for my kids. They know what they are, and they are 'age-appropriate'. I guess I am not a GD parent because I do impose consequenses when expectations are not met. I don't think that the way I parent is manipulative, though, because I don't mince words with my kids. It may be coersive, but I'm honest. I totally agree with N.O. 60 regarding manipulation and GD philosophy.
Quote: Originally Posted by caspian's mama what this teaches our children is to only be obligated to joy. if my day is only filled with obligations, i'm not living anywhere near where i could be. if my day isn't filled with joy, whether i'm doing chores, working for pay, or spending time with my friends, i don't want to be living. it's just not worth it. i'm no longer of the mindset that kids have to be quickly indoctrinated that the world is dark and...
Quote: Originally Posted by stickywicket67 right on! which is what i was getting at in my earlier post. if we are teaching our kids that their actions/behavior make other people feel certain ways then the reverse is true. other people will make him feel a certain way. it gives them too much power in one sense and then not enough in the other. It seems to me, that it all equals out in the end. People can, and will affect other people. That's just...
Quote: Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 I was going to say the same thing, although my experience was as the undergrad researcher, and the professor was MIA half of the time. Very inexperienced undergrads were performing the research. The first time I showed up to help with an experiment (using real people as subjects), the prof. never showed up and I ran the experiment myself. I just winged it. This happened pretty often throughout the study. This is...
Quote: One basic need all children have, Kohn argues, is to be loved unconditionally, to know that they will be accepted even if they screw up or fall short. Yet conventional approaches to parenting such as punishments (including "time-outs"), rewards (including positive reinforcement), and other forms of control teach children that they are loved only when they please us or impress us. Kohn cites a body of powerful, and largely unknown, research detailing the...
Quote: Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama The other night I watched a bit of Super Nanny and was disgusted. I rarely watch that show and now I remember why! In this particular episode the kids didn't want to eat everything on their plate. (Particularly the veggies) There was 6yo twin boys and a 4yo girl. One of the twins ate them and got to leave the table. The other 2 sat at that table and cried for over 2 hrs. At about 2 hrs the 6yo boy ate...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn Well the thing is that Supernanny isn't going and helping parents quietly regain control. If she were, she wouldn't be a cultural force. She's doing it on television, and that means her practices become up for debate. I still personally believe that the show at times - enough times that I don't think I personally have seen an episode without it, although I would guess I've seen about 5 - desensitizes people to...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I'm also going to repeat something else I said before, which a few others have also pointed out: I think Unconditional Parenting is accused of lacking common sense essentially because Kohn doesn't spell out a one-size-fits-all way of parenting. He focuses on challenging the current social attitudes toward children, and encouraging parents to re-think their own ideas, rather than giving a step-by-step "this is how...
Quote: Originally Posted by paquerette I suppose one could argue that much of society never grows up. One could argue that, but it would require a definition of 'grown up'.