or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by kacymoose I think it is wrong to condemn people for reading literature and following through with actions based on what rings true to them. Are you referring to this thread? If so, when did this happen?
Quote: Originally Posted by Papooses To this & such following sentiments ... they are so wrong. My statement was neither right nor wrong; it was a lighthearted poke at Kohn's philosophy.
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls (I'd really like you to start a thread on that in the appropriate forum. This isn't the right place to go into the philosophy of not having ideals but it is intriguing to me. That would be a fantastic discussion.) I might do that! Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote: Originally Posted by swampangel Many societal privileges work in just this way -- it doesn't feel like a privilege unless you don't have it. For example, a working class mother may not find a moment in the day to read a parenting book. She might be so busy working and caring for her children that she doesn't have time to philosophize about parenting. She might also have a limited education which would factor into whether or not she would be...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom I'd say his view is full of common sense. "The research I've looked at indicates x,y,z. Therefore, I'd recommend doing a,b,c." It's definitely not the conventional wisdom, but I don't think it's lacking common sense. Can you explain what part of his work makes you think that? And why mothers would feel guilty? I just found my copies of Unconditional Parenting and Punished by Rewards today, so I'd like to...
Quote: Originally Posted by PassionateWriter wow...thats a great way to insult many of us here...short on common sense? I have not found that to be the case at all. and i dont find myself feeling a lot of mommy guilt simply b/c i strive to be GD/PD. I find myself agreeing w/ some of your posts and then being completely perplexed by others (such as the portion I quoted above). I didn't mean to imply that you, or any mother who...
You sound very stressed. I couldn't read without posting. My daughter is about the same age as yours, and she is a terrible sleeper, so I feel your pain. How does she fall asleep? Do you have a routine that you follow? Is she only sleeping 1.5 hours at a time? Falling asleep and waking 1.5 hours later? That sounds totally exhausting, and very unusual for a 15 month old. What do you think is making her wake up? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a...
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls I really am not sure what you are trying to say. You seem to think that if you have ideals with regards to how you raise your children, such as those in Unconditional Parenting then you have to sacrifice your whole life to even try. That only certain people, those with lots of time to give and no other ambitions and no sense of self at all would have such ideals or even bother trying. When in fact, for me anyway, ...
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls Quote: You think all mothers need the same support in exactly the same conditions without even taking into account their lives, their backgrounds their temperament? I think I'm missing something here. No, that's not what I wrote. I disagree with your assumption that 'support is individual' given the reality that not all mothers are raising their children in the same conditions as you are. As for...
Quote: Originally Posted by allgirls Quote: Support is personal. Somepeople need someone to do the laundry. Some people need a person to chat to. Some need cash to buy shoes. That's a very individual thing. Well, I disagree. I suppose you could argue that 'support is an individual thing', if all mothers mothered in the same conditions. Quote: Well I have all sorts of time. I only have 4 children and my...