or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom Can you explain where you got that from his work? I didn't get that at all.....but, admittedly, it's been a while since I've read his books. I will. But, it's 1am, so I'll check back in tomorrow.
Quote: I would think that if you follow the philosophy set out in Unconditional Parenting you would indeed think behaviourist stuff was not the best course of action in raising children. I think at times a lot of us with certain ideals including those set out by Alphie Kohn about parenting being about the relationship and connection with the child and between the parents, siblings and entire family would think that a complete behaviourist approach to parenting...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama And, again, I don't hear anyone saying that if we ever slip up and do behaviorist stuff, that means we don't care about our connection with our children, or don't care about their feelings. But, those who choose to use 'behaviourist stuff' must not, right? I mean, isn't that the reason for Kohn's 'blasting' of Supernany?
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial Don't you just wish they wouldn't make every-flippin-thing an issue? Just once, can we have fun, and end the day without a single meltdown? And, YES, We all have those days (weeks/months) where we love them, but we don't actually LIKE them. No ideas for you... just an understanding smile. Maybe a rum and Coke? (for you, not her) : I have a tantrum-throwing 3 year old...I totally...
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother I don't have the luxury to NOT be confident, and certain about my role as a mother. I really don't know what you mean by this.
Ack...this thread grew so long, so fast! I haven't had a chance to respond, as I was too busy putting my son in the naughty spot, today.... Just a joke. Anyway, I'm not going to comment on the "natural vs unnatural" mothering aspect, 'cause I just don't have the energy (right now, anyway). But I wanted to address Monkey Mom, and Mammal Mamma's question out of fairness, and clarification. It wasn't explicitly argued that mothers who practice discipline methods...
I'm a bit boogled over the notion that there is no 'attachment/relationship' among parents and children whose parents use other-than-Kohn-endorsed methods of communicating. And, maybe there is something to be said about parents who value the 'process' over the 'outcome'. I don't spend much time analyzing every word I say, or everything I do with my kids. My goal, as I've stated before, is to raise healthy children who will become good people, people that others...
Quote: Originally Posted by sojourn We didn't always have a life w/drugs. Many can live w/out them. Find that balance, if you can. You should make a good amount of natural things in your body to keep you happy while nursing. You might not, though. It is quiet and ubiquitous, the balance our bodies give us. It isn't hard hitting like a pill. And, many can't. I don't think it is wise, or responsible to give medical advice to someone you...
Quote: Originally Posted by alegna I will warn- at that age when I tried to limit it made things worse. She really wasn't ready for substantial limits until after 3. -Angela That's your child. Other children are different. OP~ I am dealing with a similar situation with my 16 month old. It can be upsetting and frustrating. You have given your son a wonderful gift, and he is 22 months, now. There is nothing wrong with your need/desire...
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother mothers need support from other women/mothers. Sure they do, they just don't want it. I wonder why.