or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn This is what I think the "parents must maintain control at all costs" environment kind of misses at times. That sometimes - actually more often than not, in my admittedly limited experience - giving in is just fine. I guess I have faith that it models the behaviour I actually want, which is for him to compromise too. In fairness, with respect to Supernany, the families she deals with seem to have no control...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn I just got back to this thread, and I just wanted to say that for me personally I like the bar that Barbara Coloroso sets - any technique that works that preserves the dignity of the parent and the child is okay. I have seen implementations of time out that clearly did that. We have one in our house "You hit, you sit" (straight out of Coloroso). The ones on Supernanny often don't to me though, when they are...
Good luck getting kindergartners to sit for a 90 minute test!
Thanks for addressing my question, I appreciate it. I don't doubt that his books are well-researched. I am just curious about his theoretical framework with respect to psychology. I can't seem to find anything on-line. Thanks for your perspective
Quote: Originally Posted by orangebird She wasnt being rude. I'm sure it wasn't meant as rude. It's a light thread. Mostly. And those are seriously the reasons I ever eat there, it's greasy, it's salty, it's chemically and disgustingly delicious!! : I am understood : I was just razing ya, SAHDS...I forgot to add this guy ->
Quote: Originally Posted by SAHDS - It's chemically engineered - It's greasy beyond belief - It's so full of preservatives, it'll stay 'good' for years - It's expensive (compared to a home-cooked meal) - McDonalds cuts down an insane amount of rain forest - Their Happy-Meal toys are all made in China (in sweatshops in the 90's) These are reasons for eating at McDonalds? Dude, read the OP. I LOVE an egg mcmuffinn...oh, yeah...
Quote: Originally Posted by rmzbm Seriously. We're raising children, not training dogs... Funny, I haven't consulted the 'reputable' dog trainers in the area, yet...
Quote: Originally Posted by mamaofthree i haven't read everything yet but i felt compeled to post (maybe this has already been touched on) i think (in general) most people like SN because it makes them feel superior... ie at least my family isn't that messed up. AND because the techniques she uses are the easy way out. it takes alot of work to do unconditional parenting. it takes being present for your children and throwing out all your old thoughts on...
Quote: Originally Posted by Serenyd Just call 911... tell them your baby isn't breathing .. and let them take it from there. Yeah, this. Or, just go to the hospital when you are in labour. You seem to be concerned.
Quote: Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother I want the next generation of daughters to be confident in their roles as mothers -however they see fit to approach it- not to one day look back at us and say "you truly had no idea what you were doing." My point is -if your household is in need of a supernanny- all of that negotiating, talking, sharing, reasoning, and compromising with your children obviously wasn't working. And to be honest by that time it's...