or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by maliceinwonderland Me: "If a boy is a hero, a girl is called a ...?" DD: "A fero" Me: "What?!" DD: "Female is fille in French, so it's fero" Me: "In English..and it has to be a real word" DD: "I don't know.." Me: "Oh come on, if a boy is called a hero, a girl is called a..?!" DD: "An IRRITATING hero " Somehow..I feel like that may have been directed at me. Your daughter sounds awesome
Quote: Originally Posted by momileigh Maybe it's going around. I forced the little one to take a nap, very much against her will. When she woke up, I leaned over her smiling to say hello, and she kicked me. This day has *not* really gotten better and I'm just waiting for it to END. Maybe tomorrow they won't eat grumpy flakes for breakfast. Awww, mama...you're not alone. I'm sorry, but that was such a great visual that it made...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom Ha! No, I just meant that I don't really know what you're talking about, in that I don't really think I've noticed that or experienced that. It's ok. You'll know it when you experience it
Quote: Originally Posted by whalemilk Yeah I have. I didn't get out of it what you got out of it, doesn't mean I "missed the point." I just disagree with him. I disagree with a lot of the currently in vogue discipline stuff, and I'm not even anywhere near what most people would consider traditional, authoritarian, or a hardass. Nope, you cannot disagree
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom I'm sorry, I don't really understand this. I don't believe Kohn's a psychologist. He's an author who writes about education and parenting. ?? What research does he base his parenting theories on (sorry, I don't have the book to check for myself)?
Quote: Originally Posted by monkey's mom I think Kohn's focus is more on the child's perception of the act rather than the intent of the parent. If that helps you understand any better. Sure, and that's the classic psychological 'school of thought' focus on mother/child relationships.
Quote: Originally Posted by PassionateWriter its pretty simple. Classic time out involves "deliberately ignoring a child or enforcing a separation". When you do either of these, you are withdrawing your loving presence from your child. I guess I don't get how you can ignore a child or enforce separation and not withdraw your love at the the same time. You (general you) may not feel that you are w/drawing anything but thats what it feels like to...
Quote: Originally Posted by yoginisarah That's because you aren't a child. Children see things very linearly. They do something "wrong" (AKA completely age appropriate) and mom decides to put them by themselves, away from the family, at a time when they are already feeling overwhelmed or upset to begin with. The idea behind it is that as children, we see almost everything our parents do as a reflection of love. Therefore, mom leaving you in a corner...
Quote: Originally Posted by swampangel I also really disagree that it's always a love/comfort withdrawal. Plenty of times my child does not want comforting when he's upset or mad. I don't either. We're just too complicated too be deduced down to these kinds of actions and outcomes. That's what bugs me about Kohn is that he generalizes too much. Different kids, adults and families operate differently. I think it's great if we can afford the time to...
Quote: Originally Posted by rabbitmum You seem to assume that everybody needs some kind of "punishment technique" to use against their children, well you simply don't, in my experience. Children are humans and you can communicate with them in a respectful manner. It is not respectful towards a child to threaten with, or enforce, isolation. It is using the child's nature, which tells her/him that she/he needs to be in a loving group, against her/him....