or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by rabbitmum Supernanny has had tragic effects here. Spanking is illegal and rare in Norway, time-outs have long been considered very old-fashioned and not commonly used... now suddenly "everybody" uses time-outs. A HUGE step in the wrong direction! The cold, alienating way that she treats children gives me shivers. What was the generally used form of 'discipline' before Supernanny? I find it curious that 'everybody'...
Quote: Originally Posted by glendora Hey, lola---your pm box is full... Emptied...sorry
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama Also, I don't know quite how to express this -- but I'm not exactly focused on "getting results." I'm more focused on wanting my girls to feel unconditionally loved and accepted. I do believe this is the best way to foster my children's comfort in their own skins, which I realize is a (long-term) result of sorts. With hitting, I agree that parents can't just stand by and let one child hurt another. I've sometimes...
Quote: Originally Posted by PassionateWriter i dont know..i guess "research" based on ANIMAL BEHAVIORIST TECHNIQUES (vis a vis Pavlov and Skinner) is not the type of research i want to base child rearing on (and thats where "time outs" originated). Meh...My husband and I use timeouts with our (almost) three year old. We don't have to use them often...usually for hitting and/or pushing his little sister. We don't treat our son, or think of...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I think Jo Frost probably gets paid well, too. Oh, I have no doubt that she does!
Quote: Originally Posted by swampangel Absolutely. I'm not a big scheduler but I know many families who schedule things throughout the day and it works best for them. Again, it's all about what works for a particular family. Yes, I totally agree. I can't imagine arguing otherwise.
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I honestly don't know what Kohn's views are on what I called "self-motivated competition." I just know there are fields (such as the one Kohn's in) where I think you have to be somewhat competitive, in the sense of finding ways to make your particular "product" stand out from all the others and get chosen. I've heard some people object to Kohn's writing-style ... and yet I imagine that that is partly what draws...
Quote: Originally Posted by A&A Because so many people buy into it. That's why he cares. So? And, how do you know that "so many" people buy into it? And again, let's not forget that Kohn makes a living selling his opinions.
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I think he cares because parents are often influenced by these things. Also, since it's obviously a show of interest-for-many, people might be more drawn to read his column if it's about a popular TV show? I don't know that he's totally opposed to self-motivated competition, I think he's just opposed to people pushing other people (i.e. parents pushing children) to be competitive. I honestly don't think...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama Or maybe he just disagrees with her? I know I do. And I'm not the least bit envious of her. Obviously, he disagrees with her. I'm assuming that you do not write parenting (and other) books for a living? If he is so against/above competition, why the need to blast someone else for their opinion? I just don't get why he cares? It's a T.V. show. And, his writing style is very abrasive... sarcastic, really.