or Connect

Posts by lolalola

Quote: Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes That totally pisses me off. When I see threads about these fathers working 70, 80 hour weeks and being out of town all the time, I fight back the snarky "why'd he even have kids if he wasn't going to raise them?" that you always see the same women hurling at working moms. I often see this sort of thing too. Frustrating beyond belief.
Quote: Originally Posted by LolaK It seemed like the person I quoted was saying that might be in question. I know. I got that sense too. Hopefully, we won't be going there.....
Quote: Originally Posted by LolaK All this is just to point out that you can raise great daughters while being a working mom. Well of course! My goodness, this goes without saying.
Quote: Originally Posted by LolaK I get this. I really, really do but I am not willing to change the decisions I have made about what kind of mom I will be. As the mother of a daughter I might even say that I actually worry about this as well. I hear ya. I don't want anyone telling me how to mother, or what kind of mother to be either. I have a 7 year old daughter, and I worry about her sniffing out the hipocrasy of a culture that tells...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty I believe a woman can be ANYTHING that she wants to be (and that is the basis of feminism), yet, if she WANTS to be a SAHM, she is looked down on as making women take a step backward. I believe it is just wrong and a double standard. The mainstream understanding of Feminism is that gender should not pre-determine an individual's social, political and economic rights. Feminism is not about accepting...
Quote: Originally Posted by siobhang Hirshman also is woefully misinformed/myopic when it comes to her view of what women are doing. Women are voting with their feet because the work world is still not accomodating enough for families. While there are plenty of women who have options, I believe the majority of women who work or don't work, don't have options that match their values and deeply held beliefs. They do what they need to do to meet the needs...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty To me, this seems wrong, too. I don't care how MY life decisions will affect all women. I am not living my life to please others, nor will I allow my decisions to be based on what affect it will have on others. I live my life based on what I think is in the best interest of ME and MY family. Perhaps that may sound selfish, but my family comes first. And if feminism is harmed by it, too bad. Ok,...
Quote: Originally Posted by LolaK What annoys me about her is that only well educated women who will be rich and/or powerful seem to have any value to her. Some women (the important ones) should spend all their time working while paying less then a living wage to the women watching their kids?? HUH? Does anyone know what Hirshman's position is on this? She must be a proponent of universal daycare. I don't think she is placing more value on...
Quote: Originally Posted by eightyferrettoes I remember reading "The Feminine Mystique" as a teenager and really relating to what Friedan was saying! I'm sure you could all comb through the book and find things that are "offensive" to SAHMs, but when you're looking at the book through that old-school lens of Biology-as-Destiny, it's a wonderful, freeing, thing for her to say, "Get your ass out there and DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR LIFE!" Amen, Sister.
Just wanted to lend my support here. I have totally been there. After my dd was born in '99, I began experiencing what you rightly call, irrational thoughts. They were so intrusive that at times, I couldn't leave the house. I would think about death all the time, dd's and mine...terrible! I don't have any real advice for you as I ended up taking Zoloft for about a year. The drugs worked for me, apart from leaving me exhausted most of the time. I did start going...