or Connect

Posts by egoldber

Quote: if my dd consistently doesnt do her homework she will be asked to leave. and the school district is not going to support me because this school has a lot of importance since it is the best in teh district and so stresses on homework. Does your district have a written homework policy? Is what the teacher is assigning consistent with the policy? Have you talked to the administration? Quote: she gets about 8 sides of homework, and a...
We are having my older DD evaluated right now and this is one of the biggest areas of concern for us. It definitely affects her ability to make and keep friends. Have you read the book The Explosive Child by Ross Greene? I have found it very helpful.
My DD is also a huge talker. She is also very quick to finish her work. Her teacher last year thought she needed to learn self control and set it up as a battle. Her teacher this year lets her get books when she is done. In math, she has "challenge work" (packets of logic puzzles, math games and sudoku) that she works on when she has finished the regular work. It helps a lot.
Quote: Too many factors beyond the control of the testee affect the end score from not enough sleep, or not a good enough breakfast, right down to the type of test and what time of day it's taken. Good points. She eats mostly the same thing every day for breakfast, but I don't know how the timing of the tests differed. She has always been very good at puzzles and visual games (I Spy type things) so the high score on the Naglieri didn't surprise me....
Quote: the nnat is *highly* visual spatial LOL! Yes, I've gathered that since I posted. I did some reading of old threads here, found lots of references to VS and read Upside Down Brilliance. Holy cow, it's like that book was written about her! She's having some behavior issues at school (ADD like behaviors, although I am not convinced she has ADD) and we are in the process of having a full evaluation done. I'm hoping the psychologist will be...
I agree with the PP that reading levels definitely vary. While BOB books are considered "at grade level" for the beginning of first grade at my older DD's school, there were lots and lots of kids who were still at that level mid year. In fact, enrolling mid year at that level would probably garner your child more attention than if he enrolled mid year at a higher level, KWIM? The goal of first grade is to get kids reading well. So they would probably give him some...
Unfortunately, every rupture is different and presents differently. When I ruptured, I had no external bleeding and no pain. The most reliable indicator of rupture, is low or erratic fetal heart rate.
Quote: Again, I was just wondering if I was trying to be "too involved" by wanting to know what topics, books, etc. they were covering during the school week, and it sounds like maybe I am. IMO, I don't think you are asking too much, but I am the one whose child's teacher does this LOL!!! She went to a different school for K and we got very little info about that, but I didn't really want/need it at that point. Her first grade teacher last year sent...
I think it just depends on the teacher. We never got one from DD's K or 1st grade teacher. But this year her second grade teacher sends home each Tuesday a weekly newsletter that does exactly what you describe... "This week in social studies we finished up our discussion of the Native American tribes of Virginia. Next week we will start to study the tribes of the Plains. This week in math we finished up double digit addition and next week we will begin subtraction...
My older DD's school uses the DRA as their reading benchmark. The goal for ending second grade is a 28. My DD ended first grade at a 28 and I was also told that that was the max for the test. Basically what that meant is they only have materials when they test in first grade that go up to 28 NOT that her actual level was 28. I really feel like her time in first and second grade, as far as reading goes has been a wash. However, since she is already an excellent reader...