or Connect

Posts by pooh-tiggermom

Actually we do play sometimes. DH does the DM'ing but DS has been wanting to learn & started reading some of the books to learn. Guess we could try a game without DH. With Scouts & other stuff we haven't had much time to play as a family.
Ok I know people get tired of the "what do you do for the teens" question. My Q is, do you buy MATH curriculum for them? or are there manipulatives & games you can play? I have a 13yo & am lost when it comes to math. We learn (I re-learn) about equations, the metric system, do sudoku, & I have him do long division, multiplication, once in a while. For the most part lately we've been skipping math. He has no real interest in learning more than he has already. IN fact he...
I want to do something fun but Earth friendly for my son's 13th Birthday. I was thinking of asking him if he would like to have party where the guests bring a donation for the animal shelter. I have some ideas but I don't know what to do for games! I'd like to have something FUN but at the same time be a "sneaky" learning experience (you know where they think it's a game but they're really learning something important at the same time). Something about shelter animals....
I've had a swollen Bartholin gland twice. I was told to take sitz baths 3 times/days. I used Epsom salts in warm water. It popped after a cpl days the first time. The second time I had a good feeling I knew what it was when it was starting so I started the baths. It took a little longer........it was small & got a little bigger before it popped. It doesn't hurt when it pops, but if you're away from home make sure you have some pads! GL
I read somewhere to use chamomile tea compresses. Soak a washcloth in some & lay it over the eyes. I tried it a few months ago when 2 of my boys & I got conjunctivitus. I think it worked cuz it was gone the next day & I used it on myself 2 or 3 times, & my one son twice. I did start it right away when we got it tho. My other son I forgot about the tea & just used warm compresses & had him rinse his eyes with water. GL to everyone with it.
I want to make some hand sanitizer using fresh aloe from our yard. Has anyone done this before? How can I store the juice & pulp? I tried a very small amount just to check it out, but it turned red. Maybe we didn't drain it long enough? I know you're supposed to drain the red juice from it. TIA Jennifer M.
We have only been vegan for a cpl yrs, but I gave up red meat while I was pg with DS#1 (now 12yo). When he was little he didn't understand it all. We would talk a little about killing animals, altho I was still eating fish & chicken occasionally (once/month or less). We take stuff to ppls houses too, or when we go out we ask about ingredients (my DH is happy to go ask for me ) We've been invited to pizza places so I just let them know that we can order a pizza for...
HI there. I know this is a few days after your question & maybe you've gotten some more info, but I thought I'd chime in just in case. I've had low iron for yrs (even before giving up red meats & then meat altogether & before having kids). I'm just now (bout 15yrs later) learning a few things to help. The previous poster is right about the Vit C helping. Taking it with an iron supplement will increase absorption. In case you don't know, calcium inhibits iron absorption so...
Neat group! I never actually read thru the posts in here til yesterday & today, & then just read the 1st & last cpl pages. I keep thinking Im not doing enuff green stuff, but when I read the lists of things we can do I realize I am doing a lot. Some things we do: I CD with my youngest (he is out of dipes now tho) BF'd all 3 boys for at least 2 yrs & will BF & CD again when 4th is born (April '08) line dry (house we bought has electric dryer outlet & we have gas...
Thank you for the responses. As for deaths........well dying from "old age" & even an accident is more part of life than slaughter. We have had other pets over the yrs that have died & the kids cried a little. We've had family members die too. So they understand that part of life & I can't shelter them from it. We talk about death & how some wild animals eat others. Yes it's still sad but much different than humans slaughtering. As for housing area......we live on 1...