or Connect

Posts by RoundAbout

We give bigger gifts at Easter because my son has his birthday around Christmas and we limit gifts then so the holidays aren't crazy. It's also nice to give some spring things.   He's getting: the Jan Brett Easter book, some gardening things, art supplies, and some chocolate and treats.  His big gift is a few new pieces for his Haba marble run which he's really taken off with - not a flashy gift but definitely $$.        
I actually think walking away from a child who is hitting is a lot more of a natural consequence than time out. After all their friends aren't going to put them in time out if they act up and neither are most other adults, they're just going to walk away and they're going to have to prevent that and make amends when it happens. We both know I'm the one in charge so I'm not really concerned with demonstrating my authority all the time but trying to teach a lesson about...
I'm right with you and DS is almost 4. I don't like timeouts and "punishments" either so one of the things I just started is putting myself in time out, by which I mean I go to my room and close the door if he starts hitting, or climbing on me while I'm eating after telling him not to, etc. It helps me not lose control and it seems to evoke sympathy in him (he stands at the door and asks if I'm ok and says he wants to play) instead of anger. If I try putting him in his...
I would love some advice with a minor problem we're dealing with. My son is almost 4 years-old and has a very strong shame response for lack of a better phrase. If he knows he's done something "wrong" he tries to run away and hide, won't look you in the eye, or start yelling to get you to stop talking at him. Anyone else have a kid like this? He's very sweet otherwise and is very sensitive to other people's moods (if I'm in even a slightly bad mood he notices right...
I love this discussion. For the past 2 weeks we've been moving/vacationing/in-transition and living out of suitcases and in several different hotels. Here is what I packed: -Rainbow stacking toy -2 play silks -2 matchbox cars -toob of plastic sea creatures with a few sea shells -sketchpad and crayons All of this takes up very little space and I swear he's playing more than he plays at home. Right now one piece of the stacker is a boat that is ferrying the car back...
I agree that watching Food, Inc and reading Fast Food Nation are great for motivation but its important to have practical alternatives. For me that meant loosening up a little at the grocery store. Right now I don't have a lot of time to cook so my pantry and fridge are stocked with things like canned soup, canned beans, garden burgers, etc. Not perfect but much better than fast food. I also started buying some really good roast beef and rolls from the deli on...
Quote: Originally Posted by SundayCrepes Has anyone used Pimsleur with their kids? I've got the Spanish cds and am thinking of using them as we drive around town. I could learn spanish as well. Did it work for your kids? I haven't used it for my kids but I have it used for myself. I think it is an amazing program and beats the pants off Rosetta Stone any day. . I lived in China and Japan and used both the Mandarin and Japanese Pimsleur programs...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama1803 As a white member of the middle class, I find this sentiment most insulting. I personally know many (of various races and socio-economic groups) who opted to serve in the military. They did so willingly because they believed in service to their country and fellow man and in safeguarding our freedoms. They were not coerced or duped into military service in any way. People who support our military come in all colors...
I am not much of a holiday decorator but I really love classic simple stuff. I love those strings of small white lights because you can use them for Christmas, an elegant party, etc. I also try to use natural stuff and things I already own. I have a red table cloth that I use on the dining table with a few pine cones and some greenery to make it feel like Christmas. Then I can use the same table cloth for Valentine's piled with pink cupcakes and basic white candles....
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move agreed. What about a child's parent who is a minister for a religion that isn't yours? Should they be banned? I see military careers as so diverse that the idea of another career balancing it doesn't make sense to me. Who balances out a flight nurse? Who balances out a business jet pilot? (the business jets that our elected officials fly around on are operated by the air force). Who balances out the...