or Connect

Posts by Shahbazin

I wouldn't try to "sneak in" a rooster if they're specifically disallowed; but if you have a friend or someone you know who you could barter a setting of fertile eggs from, you could put one of your broody hens on eggs (or put them in an incubator), & still get to raise chicks for less than buying already hatched ones You could also post a "fertile eggs wanted" notice at the local feed store where you buy supplies.
Quote: Originally Posted by blessedwithboys I have heard that truly responsible breeders may sometimes try to time their matings to coincide with an approved waiting list. In other words, whenever possible, they only have a litter when they know there are homes waiting. Any of the breeders here want to chime in? We usually have people on our waiting list before breeding, don't breed real often, & at this point, have buyers coming back for...
Quote: Originally Posted by amber913 We're looking for a dog--checking breeders and shelters. Anyway, talked to a breeder who said she gave away her 1-yo sire b/c he tried to eat one of the puppies. These are Rotties--strong, powerful dogs--so we're not inclined to take chances; we don't want a Rottie with a few screws loose. But before i judge this dog, i wanted to know: how common is this? Anybody know?.... Yeah, the 1 year old sire thing...
Wow, this thread has been a real eye-opener for me! We just had our first "birthday party" for our kids (it was our 2nd DD's 3rd birthday, but she still sort of shares festivities with her newly 4 year old sister), which meant that we invited more than their grandparents - ie cousins & their spouses, aunt & uncle, & the neighbor & her kids from across the street. I called a week in advance, & invited them over to our house for cake & ice cream after lunch on the following...
Quote: Originally Posted by robin4kids ....there are millions of toys. right now we have a 14 room home. We are moving to a house with only 9-10 rooms. The rooms are bigger, but we don't have an attic like we have here. ....Then there are all the kitchen stuff. No I don't use it every day, but I do use it at least once a year. How do i let go? One thing that helps is not taking it with you - do you have an idea of how much shelf space/storage...
I'm very sorry to hear that your DD was injured, & that you're being faced with this decision about your dog. Yes, if he's not real stable, & requires constant upkeep, I'd put him down. It's extra hard since he's been your working companion, but there are stable dogs out there, & you've done a lot with him, but he can't be trusted around the human "puppy" (I had a dog who wasn't good around pups (& developed jealousy issues around other family members regarding his...
Mostly through mutual interest groups, like internet mailing lists or local meetings. My 3 best adulthood friends all keep the same breed of dog that I do, that I have shown/raised for over 20 years One I met on the internet when rehoming a dog (she got her), one I met at a sheep show (we'd heard about each other through a mutual friend, who raised the same rare breed of sheep - we'd bought ours from her - who I'd discovered, via internet, to live only a few miles away -...
Quote: Originally Posted by newbymom05 Everyone is different, but for me, doing my best as a teacher was exhausting. At the time I loved it, but looking back, there's no way I could spend the time planning and grading and still have time for my family. ...... This. I taught for 14 years (middle school, English teacher; I also taught art as an enrichment), & quit when my first DD came along. Besides the fact that daycare for 2 infants (my girls...
Quote: Originally Posted by mama to 2 girls I have no idea where to begin... I guess first of all how do you get your kids to listen?! It seems that whenever I ask my dd's (almost 4 and 5) that it seems to go in one ear and right out the other or the don't even hear me. .... I think that not repeating, guiding, & natural consequences seem to be the most useful strategies. My DDs are 3 & 4, & going out the door sounds like, "let's get our shoes...
Quote: Originally Posted by rightkindofme Uhm, out here in California I find that it is somewhat unusual to use last names as part of an introduction so uhhh... I couldn't tell my kid to call people Mr/Mrs Lastname because I don't know the last names. (Like I seriously often don't know peoples last names. My brain filters out that kind of information online, I don't even notice so I never remember peoples last names.).... This is me, too! So...