or Connect

Posts by Shahbazin

1) How many members of your family do you wash clothes for? 5 - 3 adults (DH, myself, FIL) & 2 young children (ages 3 & 4) 2) How many loads are dirty? About 1 1/2 - I think FIL's basket is probably ready to wash, & our dirty laundry basket has a few items in it. I generally do 1 or 2 full loads a day. 3) How many loads are part-way through the process? 1 4) If previous question is greater than zero, where are the loads now? In the dryer. 5) How often do you iron...
What's that rule about clothes? (Or was it kitchen stuff?) That you should wear them/use them at least once a year, or out they go? Anyhow, that's a good way to sort books. I re-read stuff constantly, use a lot of obscure/specialized references, & have a lot of "old friends", but I used to have a (tiny) house crammed with books, & now where we live I only have 3 seven foot high bookshelves with a combined width of about 8 feet (plus a single 2 foot wide shelf on a bookcase...
We moved in with DH's parents almost 3 years ago - we'd been married for 16 years, had an 18 month old, a 3 month old, & 4 dogs, & had evacuated to their house due to a wildfire - that burned our home down. We stayed to get organized & get our insurance claims filed, & then MIL's Alzheimer's really kicked in & she needed more care than FIL could give by himself - she passed away a little over a year ago (age 82), & last fall we ended up buying the house from FIL. So I...
Both of my DDs decided they were ready to wear underwear only & use a potty when they were 35 months. We had about a week of "accidents" while they got used to voluntary control (& lots of peeing outdoors in the backyard!), & DD #2, who learned a month ago, still wears a diaper to sleep in at night, since she's a bit hit or miss when deeply asleep, but I expect she'll lose that pretty soon. I just kept a little potty & a toilet seat insert out in the bathroom, & some...
I've got 2 kids in Boulevards, so they've always been outboard (they take up the whole back seat). Both are still rear facing (one is 4, but is 30 lbs & the other turns 3 next month - about 24 lbs, so they're tiny girls). I'm not in a hurry to turn my 4 year old, since her sister will probably want to be turned at the same time, & as long as she's under the height/weight limits, I don't see why she should turn.
Sorry to hear you lost your dad We live in a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home, with DH & me, 2 DDs, & FIL (MIL passed away last year). We moved in w/the ILs "temporarily" almost 3 years ago - we lost our home in a wildfire, & MIL was just getting to the point where she needed more help (Alzheimers). We bought the house from FIL last fall, so are going to stay here together. We have a mix of shared & private spaces; there's a large LR/fam room with a TV & the computers, plus...
Quote: Originally Posted by hteb83 ...I've found that actually taking them off the shelves (or our of boxes!), and then looking at each one and deciding if I'm likely to read or use it again - before putting it back means I get rid of far more than if I just look at them whilst they're on the shelf... But don't you then get sucked into "bookland", & end up reading your books instead of organizing them? That's my problem - "Oh, I haven't seen...
I was 38 when I had DD#1, & 39 (turned 40 the next month) with DD#2. I was back to my pre-preg weight in the 4 months after my 1st pregnancy, & was pregnant again by 6 months. I do not recommend a 14 month spacing, although it was deliberate I nursed through my 2nd pregnancy, was more tired, & then was hammered with losing our home in a natural disaster when my younger DD was 3 months old. So I'm not sure what all was the reason for things being as much of a blur as they...
I really like Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot The Dog book http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Shoot-Dog...5011043&sr=1-1 It's about positive reinforcement & behavior modification, & while dog trainers pounced on it, it was written for human as well as animal interactions. I'd originally read it as a dog trainer myself but found it very useful as a teacher, & now as a mom. I do allow my kids a lot of choices, but have certain rules that we don't bend on, I let my kids know what we are...
Things I get excited about: Chickens. Yes, really - DH jokes about the fact that I can be completely immersed in something, & I won't hear a word he's saying, until he says, "chicken", & my head suddenly snaps around, "huh?". History, care, breeds, folklore, politics, culture, genetics, art - you name it, if it involves chickens, I can tell you all about it. SF/fantasy books (I have not only all of the LOTR stuff written by JRR Tolkien, I also have the whole series of...