or Connect

Posts by Shahbazin

Quote: Originally Posted by Xavismom Shahbazin, I've wondered about the whole TV issue! I've got to admit I am a little concerened about it for when my DS is older. ... FIL is pretty good about not watching violent stuff while the kids are awake, & while he likes the set on a lot, he'll turn it to PBS in the mornings, & he does read a bit midday. So it's just something we have to compromise on. We do have a nice backyard, & the kids are really...
We're an originally unintentional, but now intentional, multigenerational family We lost our home in a natural disaster in late '07 (wildfire), & moved in w/the ILs (who lived in the same town), until we figured out what to do next. Since I was SAHMing w/a baby & a toddler, I ended up helping w/MIL, as she was just getting to where she was getting really affected by Alzheimers. She passed away a year ago, & we bought the house from FIL last fall, with the understanding...
I'm not good at making friends; I'm not particularly adept socially (not good at reading/remembering faces (I tend to recognize people by height, hair color, & where I usually see them)), tend to stutter when nervous, am generally introverted anyhow (being around groups of people really tires me out), & I have rather focused & obscure interests. Amazingly enough, I actually do have 4 pretty good friends (only 2 live locally, ie w/in an hour's drive), & 3 of the 4 I met...
The squirrels out west here carry bubonic plague; squirrels can be sort of cute looking, but are real destructive, & not encouraged at all. I wouldn't let my kids touch one, alive or dead.
If it's fairly rural & "everyone" has free roaming dogs, I'd fence a section of your property for the kids/chickens. Just T posts & turkey wire go up quickly, or if you need a moveable fence, go for electronet (http://www.premier1supplies.com/ ). The chickens will still need a secure roosting pen, & I'd put electric strands on any permanent fences (down low on the outside, & across the top, to prevent fence jumping or digging by dogs & other predators).
Schleich makes some very realistic plastic dinosaurs, with names printed on the belly - Target carries them: http://www.target.com/Schleich-99713...6&searchPage=1 Hope your son is feeling better now!
My kids are 14 1/2 months apart - & yes, we did mean to have them spaced closely! Nursing doesn't affect things for me much - I seem to get my cycle back at 3 weeks post partum, despite nursing around the clock - I did have to supplement my 1st DD from about 9 months onward, although she nursed until her sister was born. As to why, on the spacing - well, we put off making a decision on having kids for a long time - careers, lots of stuff going on; suddenly (it seemed) we...
We've always had multiple dogs, & I like having it so that my dogs can have companionship & play time with each other. Plus older dogs help show younger dogs "the ropes" so to speak - the way things are done in a household. You do have added food/vet/cleanup, but I don't think 2 is a whole lot more than one (now 3 or more can really add up!). It sounds to me like you do have a good situation for 2
Do you have furry dogs? No joke, one of the warmest fibers is "chiengora", yarn spun from dog fur. I've crocheted hats from an Anatolian Shepherd x Shetland lamb blend, & they were super warm (perhaps not real practical in southern California, but hey, I already had the dogs & the sheep). "Many people have a potential "sheep" right in their house. In North America, indigenous tribes were spinning dog hair into yarn long before the Spaniards introduced sheep. Chiengora...
OK, I get the "hover" thing, but something I've always wondered since I heard that some people "squat": I have this mental picture of someone climbing up on top of the toilet & standing on the seat & squatting - where do your pants go? How do you not fall off? Because I don't see how else you could "squat"; in most public restrooms, when I sit, just my toes touch the floor, generally.