or Connect

Posts by Shahbazin

Check out http://feathersite.com/ for all sorts of chicken info & useful links. Chickens aren't much fuss, but you do have to take care of their needs, & in a regular fashion (ie daily feed/water, collect eggs, regular cleaning, treatment to prevent parasites), protect them from predators, & be able to deal with occasional losses for whatever reason. I love chickens, their variety, interesting behaviors, personalities; once you get enough livestock, you have to factor...
I'm not off-grid, & not even living in the country at the moment (although I did, for many years, & have enough of a yard for a garden, and....yes! chickens! OP, could we all interest YOU in some chickens? ) Seriously, I haven't stopped by here for a while, as it's sort of the "down season" for growing stuff, & most of my hens are molting. Glad to answer anything I know about, though - I don't know off-grid, but can answer about sheep, fiber goats, pretty much any...
Is there a way you could hang a mirror down low so he could bend over & "check"? Would he do a deal like, "you wipe 1st, then I check you?" Is he amenable to reasoning - "if you don't wipe, you need to help pre-wash your undies so they don't stain, & you'll have to live with itchies?" What about rewards - so many days of clean undies, & he gets a desired treat/object/activity? We're not quite that far yet with my potty trained kid, but I think she'll go for the mirror...
Before Kids, we usually did most stuff ourselves; that is, I did most of it, DH did stuff occasionally - we were both working full time then. He's capable, but hates doing things, wants his time off work to be "his time" & takes forever to get to things. DH is still the same, & I'm now a SAHM riding herd on a 2 1/2 yr old & a 3 1/2 year old - there is no way I can do anything with paint, plaster or power tools with them underfoot; so, while I would like to do more stuff...
Wow! - I just saw this thread, & this is exactly what I am interested in/we're currently doing. I have 2 DDs, ages 3.5 & 2.5, & we are doing unschooling style learning, plus we plan to continue homeschooling as they get older. Our girls have always enjoyed being read to, & we do a lot of that; they are picking up a great deal of ecology & natural history from our back yard (they help with our vegetable garden & pen of hens), plus they are learning all sorts of things...
When I was teaching, I used 2 pairs of khaki pants (wore one pair most of the week & just folded them neatly, unless they got dirty, washed them on the weekend - had second pair for rotation & backup), about 8-10 really nice blouses (got most at 2nd hand stores, silk, dryclean only - would hang in closet after wearing, as long as I hadn't sweated on them/no visible dirt, then get cleaned after several wearings), a couple of sweaters, a dressy vest, a lined raincoat w/hood,...
Is he hitting milestones? Is he gaining weight steadily? What do your family's growth patterns look like? I got a lot of flack from the ped about my daughters' weight gain (both hit 15 pounds at a year old), but after considering that DH & I are not big people, & a lot of our relatives hit big growth spurts around HS/college (my dad entered his JR year of HS at 5'2" & 85 lbs (then grew to 5'4" & 125 by graduation - he was on the foot ball team, too) - I was 50 lbs at 8 yrs...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move as I read some of the replys, I was hit with how old Dh and I are to be raising kids. It's odd to me that so many PARENTS play these games! They hadn't even been invented when Dh and I were growing up. Videos hadn't been invented. No cable TV. No internet. No home computers. No calculators. Nothing! Sometimes I wonder if it has an impact on our kids' taste. Dh and I have never gotten into the whole game...
We don't do the electronic games thing; DH & I just aren't interested, & we'll cross that bridge when our girls are older. We did grow up before those games came out; on long car/bus rides, I usually read a book - as a kid, & now. Personally, while I do like things like movies, they're not nearly as much fun as a book, because with a movie, you're just watching stuff go by (sometimes very pretty stuff & interesting effects), but with a book, it's like you're really there &...
I tend to buy more expensive shoes, but then wear them to bits. $75-200 range is average, then wear for 4-10 years. I had one really nice pair of boots that I had re-soled at least 2x, & I don't know how many new heels I had put on them, that I wore for over 10 years. Right now I have a couple of pairs of Birkenstocks, some Mephisto sandals, & a pair of LL Bean rubber barn moccasins.