or Connect

Posts by tboroson

And I'm saying I'm not convinced that is true.  What they describe as their process doesn't do a gosh darned thing to concentrate anything in any special way.  In all honesty, I'm not sure how they *could* accomplish that, without resorting to serious chemistry.  You can't concentrate oil, it doesn't evaporate like water.  All you can do is floctuate and filter out the impurities, which is exactly what you do during the ghee/clarified butter process.  So to net...
Um... no.  No.  No.  And I am so incredibly not a germ freak.  I ate raw sushi when I was pregnant.  I drink breakfast smoothies with raw kefir fermented on my counter top and raw eggs.  But this stock is Bad News.  If you'd cooked it then turned it off to cool and forgot about it, I might say go for it, but not like this.  A raw chicken stewing in a lovely germ bath in the ideal germ incubation temperature range for 8 hours?    The problem isn't the germs themselves...
Oh, dear lord... and to think I used to waste my money on butter oil.  From what I'm reading above, what a scam.    The process in the patent application above is exactly what I'd do in my home kitchen to make classic clarified butter - skim cream from milk, churn it, press out the buttermilk, cook it at a low temperature to clarify (that is, separate the milk solids from the butterfat) without browning the milk solids, then filtering out the milk solids.  Only...
Re: cooling stock, from a few pages ago:   A pot of hot stock, or hot anything but stock is notable because it's usually a large volume, will warm up a refrigerator beyond the ability of the compressor to keep the temp in the safe zone, it wasn't just an "old icebox" thing.  So you risk everything in the fridge.   Meanwhile, air cooling a large volume is highly inefficient, even at refrigerator temperatures.  It doesn't matter if its a 39F refrigerator or a 72F...
Thanks for the tips - but the real mortar from the building supply store didn't work, the walls cracked and crumbled.  I will play with the wheat paste and see what comes of it.  We had our parent-teacher conference yesterday afternoon, and the teacher told us not to feel we need to be too obsessive about process, she understands it can be hard working in that scale; so my husband and daughter are out there building a wall with two part epoxy right now.    It looks...
Has anybody here built, or know someone who built, a stone cottage for their 3rd grade model house project?  If so, we'd really appreciate some advice!   My daughter has decided that this is what she wants to build.  She's spent over a week experimenting with Daddy to work out an effective mortar, and is having no luck.  Mind you: my husband is an architect and a pretty advanced handyman (as in, has built real live buildings all by himself).  So he's not exactly a...
When you say "house bunny", do you plan to give the bun free range of the house for much of her time?    If she's going to be locked up most of the time, I'd say she should have a good deal of space.  36"x36"= 9 square feet, which can be approximated with a 4'x2.25' dog crate.  Watching my bunny (who free ranges several rooms full time), I'd say a bun who's caged 22 hours a day needs at least 9 square feet.    If she's free ranging most of her time, though, you...
Thank you.  Yeah, I wondered about her eating it, too - we have had problems with mice (ick!) eating the Swheat Scoop out of the cat's litter box!  Go figure...  I'll try one of the pelleted ones, but I don't know if any of them are flushable.  I'll peruse the selection at the pet shop.   I am aware of the problems with cedar, and have heard that pine is questionable - but like you said, since she doesn't actually live in the cage, only goes there to poop, I haven't...
Instinct tells me maybe not - otherwise I would have done it already!  But our new wee kitty is causing a bit of an issue, and brainstorming a solution has proven frustrating.   Girl-bunny (so named because my kids changed their minds on a name frequently for weeks after we got her, until we just got used to that "holding name" :lol:) is a good house bunny.  She has full time free range of the dining room and kitchen, both of which are bunny-proofed (no power cords...
Raw eatin' mamas, I humbly beseech your advice, if you please! Olives - I know that they are traditionally brined raw, but obviously the ones that come to us in jars and cans are no longer. If I'm buying good olives from a bulk (like at luxury groceries and health food stores), are they likely to be raw, or were they taken out of big cans like the cheap ones? Do I need to go to an expensive raw food purveyor to find raw olives? And, capers. Similar to the...