or Connect

Posts by laneysprout

I just PM'd you, sorry for the delay!  
Hi Cathy,   I know how overwhelmed and scared you must be right now.  Take a few breaths and try to remember that it is a process, and it is on-going, and constantly changing.  My son is now almost 17 months and he is doing very well.  With strokes, the prognosis is different for every baby depending on which area and side of the brain were affected and the size of the stroke.  In my son's case, it was right-sided MCA (middle cerebral artery) stroke that has affected...
I would recommend Dr. Magee and Dr. Morton at Memorial before I would recommend some of the RI midwifery practices that operate on a rotating call schedule.  They are less likely to intervene than some of the midwives and provide very personalized, mother-friendly care.  You can find a list of providers who subscribe to an evidence-based model of care in the RIBN provider directory at www.ribirth.net.
The backstory is that my 14 month old DS had a prenatal stroke which may or may not have disrupted the process of tooth formation in utero.  When he was 8 mos. old he was hospitalized twice for upper respiratory infection/bronchiolitis/ear infection and received (after the second hospitalization) deep suctioning, albuterol through a nebulizer and an antibiotic.  Around this time his first right front tooth came in and I thought it looked a little transparent.  As it...
We have a fairly active AP playgroup in Providence that generally tries to meet weekly at a local playgrounds, though we've been a little inconsistent this summer.  We have kids between the ages of 10 months and 7 years, with a whole bunch in between.  We are very laid back and welcoming group.  If you're interested, send me a PM and I'll let you know the next time we meet.
You've gotten lots of great info so far, here are my recs:   You might want to check out Learning Brooke for your DD.  It is nature-inspired based on the Reggio philosophy and very highly regarded. The pediatrician and family practice docs at Ocean State Holistic Medical Collaborative are wonderful Mary Mumford-Haley, CNM or the team of Drs. Susanna Magee and John Morton are pioneers in family-centered births, including gentle cesarean births (all of them attend...
I just wanted to gently remind people of MDC's Healthcare Provider Review guidelines, located at the top of this forum, which state:   "Please be cautious in posting [...] anything that might create legal concerns for you or others."   Rather than naming out-of-state CPMs who have/will cross the border to provide care for RI families (and who are currently caught in an unfortunate political war), it might be better to PM people who are seeking their contact...
I will be increasing my work hours in September and DS just turned one.  He doesn't take a bottle, but just this week I have started pumping a little every day and he will drink expressed breastmilk from a regular cup with his meals. So that's what I'm planning on for now. If you do want to avoid cow's milk at this point, but still want him to have breastmilk available while you're at work, you could probably get away with pumping just once and giving it to him in a cup...
Could you make a DIY gauze wrap (similar to a Wrapsody)?  I word my newborn DS last summer in a wrap I made really inexpensively with some gauzy turquoise cotton I got on clearance at Joann's Fabrics.  It was much cooler than the Moby or the Maya wrap.
There was a recent thread in the forum that might help.  Here it is.