or Connect

Posts by DoulaAlicia

Hello!  I will be attending the DONA postpartum doula training this year in March and I am preparing now to do some reading for it.  I see that in order to become certified there are 10 book options on the list.  Question for those of you who have already done this!     First, which books are your favorites from each category?  (I will re-post the list below)   Second, which books would you BUY (meaning which ones are useful after reading once? such as ones you...
Well, let me throw this one back at you?  :)  How do you think your birthing experiences will impact your birth work as a midwife?  You said you can not watch BOBB or birth videos.  Why not?  How will those strong feelings impact your work with women in a hard, long labor, or a woman with a breech baby still at 36 weeks?  Will you bring confidence in the natural way the body works?   In theory I believe what others have said about vaginal birth not being necessary...
Love this idea!!  I have a lot of really beautiful inspiring birth pics of clients and myself.....if I could get client permission I could put together a really neat slideshow and we could have a deep discussion - maybe along side a "progress of labor" discussion.  
I've taught BFW (my own classes).  I had just started and had run a couple of series, both of which were amazing!  I also found that parents REALLy enjoyed birth art and all the other emotional and spiritual prep BFW includes - and even the Dads - and even the SERIOUS Dads that were financial planners and such.  :)  So I am very comfortable with birth art.  I might try sliding a birth art session in to this series but I'll have to evaluate as I plan and experience the...
I've started teaching a new childbirth class for an already established childbirth centered class provider.  And I've been given room to move within the curriculum and bring some new ideas.  The class is information heavy.  And the class surveys are asking for more HANDS ON.  They want to DO more and learn more directly about how they are going to deal with this birth.   I have Birthing From Within experience and feel like I have alot to bring from that perspective...
  Yeah - tell her that she can tell her OB to keep his fingers out of her hoohaa and tell him she's waiting till "x" week/days (if ever) before she is comfortable with a cesarean unless an obvious medical concern presents itself.     I also agree that she did have choice....  I know it can be expensive paying out of pocket for a midwife..  in or out of hospital.  But if it might save you from emotional trauma and the physical harm of surgery and your baby from the...
I don't think I would have a problem doing this "as a friend" for emotional support/physical support or even as a doula.  If I were there as a doula I would surely have a contract signed that says I am in no way medically responsible in this scenario (which I already have in my current contract). I support a woman's right to UC even though I don't know if that is for ME or not.  I also don't think just because you UC that this excludes you to the right to emotional...
I can only speak about how I feel.....knowing what I know....your perspective may be different.  But for what it is worth.   While many OB's are ignorant of how beneficial natural birth is to mother and baby and also seem to be ignorant of many ways in which a mother can have a natural birth successfully (which you being a HB Mom could totally change in your office......there are other reasons why they have a hard time serving women and families:   1)...
I don't know for sure about NICU nurses.  ;)  Just haven't had the best experiences and want to make sure my client is in a place of knowledge before going in so she doesn't get pushed around if that situation comes up.  The tour is an excellent idea!!  I should tell her to do this and ask all those good questions about whether their environment is supportive of breastfeeding and family or mother camping out there a bit while babies are there.   The reason I asked...
Unfavorable cervix means her doctor is NOT supportive AT ALL!!  That's what it means....   Anyway - yes of course she could go into labor at any moment or weeks from now.  And her cervix doesn't speak English and won't tell us when...hehe.  Even an "unfavorable" cervix can go into labor soon.   MANY OB's don't believe that a VBAC should have a vaginal birth after 40 weeks pregnant for fear that they will have a rupture.  The risk of rupture is very slight but...