or Connect

Posts by mommyshoppinghabit

Both my kids attend a reform jewish preschool right now, so it straddles the fence in terms of quality, I think. Both of them seem to be getting along quite well there. That's not to say I will continue them in a religious school. I just can't get my head around what is the "ideal" setting for them, and even if I could, I don't think that exists. Would they do good in a Montessori setting? Quite possibly, but the Montessori school near us seems old and tattered looking....
Quote: Originally Posted by Newbian Mama No, the show is too pretentious for itself. It thinks it's so cool and so hip but it's just a poseur I don't think it's pretentious but it definitely has had a problem esp. this season that the actual writing and acting can't live up to the original, overarching story/premis, whatever that was. This could have made a great book. I wonder if the original writers have quit and there are bunch of...
In previous seasons, I thought Jill was the motherly best friend type when actually now, she's revealed herself to be extremely insecure and really has the wrong end of the stick when it comes to how one deals w/friendships. It's kind of ironic that she's co-written a book about the wisdom her mom taught her.
Just came back from another open house at the private school that is closest to us. It has great facilities, is non-sectarian, is pre-K through 12th, and is currently renovating the middle and upper schools into the state's only LEED certified "green" school facilities. Granted I didn't talk to the teachers (which really bugs me about these open houses) but I just felt like I have no idea what I would be getting for the money other than my son gets to attend a really...
At the beginning of this school year, I thought that definitely I will be sending my son to one of the best private schools in our area starting in kindergarten or first grade. Now I'm having my doubts. I've visited two open houses in my area for private schools and although I can see the curriculum, facilities, and teachers seem great, I'm wondering if it's too much of a commitment to be throwing on a 5-6 year old. What I mean is, the days are longer, start earlier, and...
Uggh, Flylady. I'm not going to totally knock her b/c she's obviously helped a lot of people, but I think changing from the inside out is going to lead to success over telling yourself OK from now on, this is what I'm going to do. Inner reality primary, outer reality secondary.
For breakfast, I pretty much rotate hot cereal, scrambled eggs, smoothies, and (if I really get ambitious the night before) homemade muffins. I don't use the microwave and we try to avoid most breads for health reasons so nuking stuff and sandwiches are out for lunch. It's not a big deal to reheat something like frozen chicken nuggets in the toaster oven for a half hour while kids eat breakfast. I think it's actually the after school to bedtime time-period that needs the...
This week and next week, I am visiting schools for the 2011-12 school year. I have to start now b/c we might be moving house according to which school we feel ds1 would do good in. I just had to come on here, though, and admit that I have a fear of making my son the perpetual late-comer every morning and missing out on a lot of important stuff. All the schools that I have researched have an 8 or 8:15 am start time. Both my kids go to preschool now but have a 9 am start...
DS1 is eating vegetables (finally) I have done a lot of personal growth in the last 4 years I have lost 20 lbs without even trying The universe loves me and has been abundantly good to me.
Quote: Originally Posted by Kivgaen I know how to get my house clean. I've done it before. I know how to get organized. I know that it takes time, commitment, and dedication. And yet, I choose the chaos... I know that when I see the mess and the dirt, it makes me feel like crap. I know that I can change that -- If I just committed to it, did little bits here, little bits there, etc., that it would improve. I would feel better. I would feel...