or Connect

Posts by bigcats

Hmm, the Case of the Mysterious Vomiting Cat! (That's what my vet calls the condition). My cats have had their share of gastrointestinal upsets. Only rarely have they seemed sick other than the vomiting/diarrhea. Is she acting ok otherwise? Does she have diarrhea too? Sometimes mine just go through a few days of vomiting a bit, and then they're over it. I just figure they ate something weird. But I bring them in if it persists or if they seem otherwise sick. ...
I'm so sorry about your kitty's illness. The first thing I'd say is to be wary of believing 100% that he has FIP. Because, in my opinion, it's a vastly overdiagnosed and misunderstood disease. Nobody knows why some cats get it and others don't, many of the symptoms are nonspecific, and you can't be sure a cat even has it until it dies and a post-mortem is done (unless he had abdominal fluid drawn and tested, I suppose). I do cat rescue and in the past year I've had...
Remember that if your cat goes potty outside (I strongly support keeping cats indoor-only unless the cat is truly unhappy indoors) then its excrement will be in your yard where your kids play. Or in your neighbor's yard, which might annoy them.
Fabric softener Paper towels (I'm proud of having held my ground against myself on this one for 8 months now) Lysol, Drano, that kind of stuff Crappy air freshners (I use essential oils) Any of those stupid disposable items (Swiffers or the all time low - the disposable cutting boards). If I had a baby, I'd add "Bibsters" to that list! Plastic dishes/tupperware Disposable menstrual products Soda Clothing with the company's logo on the front (I do...
I admire you greatly too, Irishmommy. I work with kids with emotional/behavior disorders in a preschool setting, and I tell you - it's very rough to do it for 4.5 hours a day. I can't imagine doing it 24 hours a day. Your 5 year old sounds very similar to what many of "my" kids are like. There are some who really seem not to have any buttons - stickers, extra one-on-one time, you name it, none of it seems to work. Well, candy probably would but we don't use that...
I've had the same dilemnas. I currently used a wood-based (sort of like sawdust) called New Concept which is very inexpensive. I don't really know if this is environmentally better than clay though. I don't flush it though, I had problems with my toilet after awhile when I did that (and I was only flushing the solid waste with a bit of the litter stuck on it, not whole litterboxes). I put mine in the grocery bags too. I try to shop with my canvas reusable bags as...
I use Rescue Remedy on my stressed out new foster cats - usually they're terrified when they first arrive at my house, and it takes them a few days (weeks/months) to warm up. I also use it when I do vet trips. I haven't found there to be *dramatic* changes in the cat's anxiety when I use it, but I do think it helps a bit. And they like it - they're always quite interested in smelling my fingers after I've handled the bottle. I dab a few drops on the backs of their...
Last week at my preschool we grated the old, broken crayons with a cheese grater. Then we had the kids sprinkle the shavings on wax paper, fold it over, and ironed it. They made little "stained glass" art projects, and they actually came out quite pretty, with all the colors.
This isn't really a potty training story, since the child was already using the potty regularly. but it's a good example of a typical conversation I have in my line of work. I was supervising a 3 year old using the potty. He needs close supervision because he has no hesitation about reaching in, touching the poop, smearing it, etc. The child, P, was sitting on the potty, elbows on his knees, chin in his hands, philosophical look on his face. The conversation...
Ok, well, when I called them back to ask if it was possible to get the cleaning sans the bitewing x rays, they told me absolutely not. This place is a clinic and I have a feeling they generally see people with pretty cavity-filled mouths who are actually experiencing pain, so that's probably the reason they're heavy on the x rays. So I cancelled the appointment and called another place... they do the bitewings every 12 months, and won't need to take them on my first...