or Connect

Posts by dentmom3

Thanks for all the responses! I know that I mostly need to get over my anxiety and just let them be, but I needed to hear the stats and voices of reason to help me get over it! Some of the angst is coming from the increase in bobcats this year - I'm not complaining, we are on their turf, after all, but it does give me pause. The photos that one neighbor and I took are clearly of different animals and were taken a week apart - we've talked to the kids quite a bit...
Didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I've got my my own free range issue going on. I was a free to roam kid myself in rural NH. As long as I could still see the house or the trail back to the house, I could play in the woods, the small stream, etc. And it was great! Now I have three DC ages 4, 6, and 8. We live in a small CT town, great neighborhood that is surrounded woods. Great for them to play! We even abut a 3400 acre wildlife refuge! And this is...
Pro all the way! We've got a weekly cleaning lady and she is worth every penny! Whenever I feel guilty and talk to DH about cutting the cleaning back or eliminating it - he tells me it's the best money we've ever spent. He doesn't help with housework at all and I can't keep up between kids, work, carpools, activities etc. This year we went from daycare to a nanny and with more people in the house all day, things are even messier than they were before! But the...
Quote: Originally Posted by ecoteat I think this bring up another thing... Our culture is always pushing for kids to grow up faster educationally and intellectually, so of course the emotional and developmental stuff gets pushed along with it. Like the continuum of what things interest kids needs to be moved along faster, therefore putting a 6 year old at reading a magazine geared towards 12 year olds. Because faster must be better, right? It's like a...
Quote: Originally Posted by neptunemama I'd ask a lot of questions about the program though. How much time do they spend on conditioning and flexibility? That should be a good amount of the 3 hrs. At my dd's gym, the first 45 min to an hour is all conditioning. Running, sit-ups, other core work, etc... all before any work on the apparatuses. And the last 1/2 hr to 40 min is stretching and cooling down. So it's roughly 2 1/2 hrs of actual gymnastics...
Another vote to let him go for it! My DD will have her last meet of the season on Friday. This is her first year of competition and she just loves it. She's made great new friends, looks forward to every practice (3X/week for a total of 7.5 hours) and is so excited for the next season before this one is even over! She does have a late dinner twice a week, but we all hang out in the kitchen all the time anyway. Just today I found this in her backpack after...
I'm a part time dentist! I practice Mondays and Wednesdays - for a total of 16 hours a week. I also take the month of July off every year. I have the best boss in the best practice who totally 'gets it' It was even his idea that I take July off!!! DH owns his own practice and we live on his income comfortably but it provides him a measure of comfort that I could support us if need be - by going FT to supplement his disability ins (or life insurance) if something...
Quote: Originally Posted by prothyraia I'm actually going to turn this on it's head a bit, because I wonder why working outside of the home is So Important that doing so for even just a few hours a week means that you must make that work central to your identity, even when you spend the vast majority of your time caring for children and home. I don't think that is what the OP wants to do - that's her point! Seems that the OP identifies as a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering WOHMs tend to find the term "full-time mom" offensive, according to other threads on MDC. Nobody's a "part-time mom"; motherhood doesn't work that way, even for non-custodial parents, let alone nine-till-fivers. Agreed. Quote: Originally Posted by Smokering I do worry a bit about the tendency for women who have a family-is-important mindset to eschew the definition of WOHM even when...
Quote: Originally Posted by dds07 Hi everyone I'm not a physician, I'm a dentist and a 2nd year periodontics resident. I have a 16m/o who was born 1 month into my first year of residency. I'm acutally not totally happy with my choice to do a residency with a baby. I wish I would have taken time off and/or not done the residency at all (not required for dentistry). Everyone kind of suggested some time off (ie not starting residency), but I didn't really...