or Connect

Posts by dentmom3

Oh I did LOVE those books when I was young! My best friend and I were going to be authors and sit and write while our gaggles of children tumbled around us....haven't thought about those books for a long time!
Quote: Originally Posted by journeymom I'm sorry, I hope it's ok that I posted here. I'm not actually working currently. But I am also searching for a job even though dh supports us pretty well. I've done a lot of growing up since becoming a mother, and I want to get out there and expand my horizons, become more independent and contribute something unique to society. Of course it's ok! Welcome! Your points are very valid and include some of...
A clear cut winner on what is harder? Not to me, that's why I work PT. Best of both worlds. I think what would be hardest as a mom would be not having the choice to WOH or SAH as I wanted. I feel blessed to have the choice, the career and the family situation to make it possible for me to experience the joys and challenges of my 'work' and my children.
That describes us and yep, I still work. DH makes several times what I make, I don't carry the benefits or anything. I work solely for the joy of it, and the challenge of it and the excitement of it. I work because I want to, not at all because I have to. Unless you count personal growth and sanity as a 'have to' There have been several times that I have considered trying to find a volunteer position, doing free dentistry would be great. But there is a lot of...
Being a working mom is what brought me to MDC in the first place. I was taking hits from all sides about WOH - in person and on another parenting board that I was on and then I found out that MDC had a forum especially for WOHMs! (The natural childbirth and breastfeeding support was just a bonus for me) I am proud to work, I enjoy what I do and enjoy helping people. The kids are great, I love our childcare center and they are like a big family to us - which is nice...
Quote: Originally Posted by loraxc No one ever seems to feel called to make comments to my husband about his career vs. family choices. Absolutely! Monday night DS 16 months started vomiting. No prob - I don't work on Tuesdays. Last night DD is coming down with it too. I feel myself growing hostile towards DH. Why? Well because when a kid is sick it is ME who takes the time off, ME who scrambles for backup care, ME who makes the sheepish...
Quote: Originally Posted by woobysma If I work to "afford" anything, it's flexibility. In a way I work to to be able to buy my kids more time with daddy. How that can be viewed as "selfish" or "materialistic" is beyond me That's it exactly!! That is my ideal situation, not quite where we are at yet, but what I would love to get to.
In a perfect world, well, in MY perfect world - I would work part time so that DH could also work part time. He'd have a day alone with the kids, I'd have a few days alone with the kids and they would still spend some time at our childcare center. That to me would be the best of ALL worlds. They have so many people who care about them that if they were to leave DC now I think the kids would be crushed. It's not a perfect world. I do work PT, which IS perfect, but...
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer ]not for me--it's for the love and snuggles and cuddles and fuzzy wuzzies!" I wanted to reply: "I'm a stepmom! I get to do all of that minus the chapped nipples, with the knowledge that should anything happen to my partner or my relationship, I may never get to see my kid again! Yay!") OT- but just wanted to allay your fears a little. My stepmom is coming to see us tomorrow - she lives 3 hours away. To...
Quote: Originally Posted by EVC My "favorite" is the "I could never leave my children with STRANGERS" Yup, because before I go to class each day I just dump dd on the first guy I see waiting at the bus stop, slip him a $20, and off I go Oh wow! Does that work well? Cuz I could save LOADS of money on childcare if I did that!!!