or Connect

Posts by skyblufig

Well, I had a whole long recommendation post typed out and then my silly computer just hiccuped. Ah, well. Suffice it to say, we used Gentle Birth Care for our third baby and loved them dearly. Would have totally gone with them again, but did a hospital birth because of extenuating circumstances this last time around. They are awesome! Truly supportive of you, no pressure, as hands-off or hands-on as you'd like -- just all-around fantastic care. There's no one I'd...
Thanks again for all the great advice, ladies. Have a great homeschool year!
Thanks, everyone, for all the great ideas! Have to be brief, nak, but reading, writing, math is what we're concentrating on - you folks are an absolute treasure-trove of info. Thanks again!
Well, the title says it all. We've decided to move from an extremely loose, totally unscripted unschooling environment to a curriculum-based homeschool, with an eye towards getting them "caught up" (I know ) so that if/when they want to go to public school, they'll at least be comfortable in the academic sense. This is partially what they've been wanting and partially what dh and I feel would be best for our family right now. So.... help! Has anyone else done this that...
mea culpa; after pulling up some old links that took me nowhere, I dove into the Public Health compiled statutes and the administrative codes and you are correct: IL has vit K on the books now. (They didn't back when my oldest was born) Also, where there used to be an exemption clause in the Infant Eye Disease Act, there is no longer, That being said, there are still exemptions on the books for both the newborn screen/pku:   Section 661.60  Exemption   Whenever a...
I'm surprised that DCFS is actually responding, because according to IL law, the eye stuff can be declined. And the vitamin K is not in IL law at all - that's a hospital policy! Ridiculous. You'd think, with all the abandoned & poorly-treated babies in Chicago, DCFS would have some actual work to do.  Prentice just gets more and more conveyor-belt as time goes on.   Good god, I had no trouble at all at Swedish declining...
Yeah, NO. I would move in to the tiniest studio apartment and eat ramen noodles every day before I would ever live with my mother. It just would not be worth the psychological toll, and would undo years and years of therapy work. NO.
I know this is an old thread, but this made me laugh and laugh!  Just today, we were coming in the front gate (we live in a courtyard apartment building) and here's our conversation with the old Irish maintenance manager:   Us: "Hi Jim!" Jim: "Hello there! You coming back from a field trip? A field trip for schooling? Because there's no time off from the learning, you know." Me: "Yup. Grocery store. Math, Home Ec, Science. You know..."    The three kids just stared and...
We've used Ettner for about 7 years now. He's great. He's up in Lincolnwood now, on Lincoln Ave, about 1/4 block south of Touhy. We're about 4 blocks north of Wrigley Field in Chicago and it only takes 30 minutes normally to drive there, 45 if traffic is really heavy or there's construction on Western or Peterson. We had such a hard time finding someone who would work with our non-typical ways  when our oldest was a baby that we've kind of attached ourselves to him,...
Sorry, just saw this -- hope it's not too late to help! We live in Chicago & I'd definitely go with the Maclaren single and the carrier. Personally, I'd do the 10 month old in the carrier and the 3 yr old in the stroller, but that's because my back isn't as strong as it used to be.   It's super easy to get around the El and the buses with a single stroller, although on crowded buses, you might have to fold up. Also, some of the El stops don't have elevator access from...