or Connect

Posts by Maddy123

I left a well-paying (and very flexible job) to be home. Despite the flexibility, my job had a long commute, and that was part of my reason for leaving. Things were hectic, and I felt that I was missing out on many, many things. We make a lot less money, and this is sometimes an issue. But our stress level as a family has gone WAY down. My kids are in school now, and I work part time around their school hours. I do miss the money I made, but if we can swing it, I...
Lots of great ideas. I don't know if you have "organic girl" packaged greens where you are (spinach, salad mix, etc.), but they are very convenient and their packaging seems to keep things fresh. Organic Girl stuff is very expensive in my area, but I have found that I make a lot more salads when I have them around. (In the summer, we have a garden, but I like salads all year round...) If I'm feeling thrifty, I just buy greens and wash them and have them ready. It's...
I had this same issue with the store brand of half and half. Their milk was fine, but the half & half tasted "off" very quickly. (My DH did not notice--I think I am especially sensitive to this, but it was definitely off.) I ended up just paying the extra $ for another brand. I haven't had any more problems. I do wonder why it happened in the first place. Anyway, it was very frustrating!
This is an entertaining thread. Personally, Leta, I don't think you need any advice from me because you are already doing great...But I think you could teach me a few things! Best of luck in your quest. I enjoy reading everyone's ideas.
This is a really good red beans & rice recipe. I have never been to this restaurant, but the recipe is a good one! http://www.recipezaar.com/Treebeards...nd-Rice-121498 Some changes I make: I use small red beans (not kidney beans) and just half of one of those kielbasa cooked sausages. I think half is plenty, and I freeze the other half for the next time I make the beans. Sometimes I don't have the celery, and it is still good. I also drain the water, and use fresh...
For me as a SAHM, when both my kids were finally in school, I used to get lots of queries from people wondering when I was returning to work. Repeated questions about this from the same people started to feel intrusive. I just insisted that we were happy and this arrangement worked for us. I tried to remember that people who pressed the topic had some kind of "issue" of their own, and that it was not simply about me. But it's so annoying, it's hard to be zen about it...
It sounds like fun, and I'd probably just pay up and do it. But that is expensive to me. We have an annual block party on our street every year, and we get a permit and close off the street. We rsvp to the organizers (some neighbors down the street who are usually in charge every year), and everyone brings a dish. It doesn't cost us anything. Sometimes we have activities for the kids (a bike parade, etc.), but usually we just get together and talk and the kids play.
I agree with the poster who noted that adding fresh herbs is best right before you serve the dressing. In general, I think dried herbs work better when you are keeping the dressing in the fridge for a few days. Here's a Greek Dressing that I like a lot: 4 Tablespoons olive oil 4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar 4 Tablespoons water 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I just use one lemon, squeezed) 2 teaspoons oregano (I use dried, but if you want fresh herbs, add a...
We have carpenter ants on a large, old tree near our back deck. We were getting the ants in our daughter's bedroom. There was a branch from the tree touching our house. We cut back the branch and vacuumed up the ants that were left in her room. Do you know where they are coming in? Can you get to the source? In our case, a huge number of ants were coming in through a tiny branch, way up near our roof. It was strange to think they could even get in her room, way...
My kids are in school now, and I love being at home. I like having a more relaxed lifestyle, and having time for things like meal planning and grocery shopping. I love being able to volunteer in their classrooms, and not having to worry about school conference days, or sick days, etc. During the summer, we have long lazy days, at home or at the pool. I used to work full time, but for many years now I have been at home. I have a part time job that is mostly from...