or Connect

Posts by Maddy123

Both of my (wonderful) parents are gone. It's tough. Sending positive thoughts your way...
It must have been a situation like this that inspired the saying, "No good deed goes unpunished." Sigh. Sorry that your friend acted that way. When I left my job to be home full time, I did get asked to watch other's children many times. I am happy to help out in an emergency, but like others, I have found that it really limits what I can do if I am caring for more kids. I also learned that when I was able to help someone out, I seemed to end up on her "list"...
I know what you mean about the lure of the Starbucks drink! Good luck with your 12-step program! I really LOVE my mochas, so I am not interested in going cold turkey and cutting them out. For me, it's about the whole process of someone else making the drink, etc. I ask for Starbucks cards for my bday, Mother's Day, etc. (I will have to check out the coinstar option--thanks for the idea!) I also use them as motivators for myself--I will have a mocha if I _insert...
My kids are school age, and these days I work part time, around their school schedules. My job is part online and part in the office, so it works out well for family life. I don't work in the office at all during the summer. When my kids are older, maybe I will ramp up the working a bit to help save for college, etc. For now, I mostly consider myself a sahm who does a little part time work.
Around once a week. During the summer, we get lots of produce from our garden, so that helps. All our grocery/discount stores are very close, so there is not much driving involved. I believe for us that we DO save money when I shop every two weeks instead. The problem is that I just don't enjoy buying a bunch of stuff to get us through. It wears me out. I'd rather go a bit more frequently and not dread grocery shopping so much. I think some of this is personal...
macytoedt, I know what you mean about the portion sizes. I think my loaves were bigger than they called for in the book. "Grapefruit" sized ( like the book sometimes mentions) is kinda small? Not sure. Their basic dough recipe is good. I will have to try making naan.
Report back after you've had a chance to try the book (Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day)! I would love to hear if others have had good results. It's worked well for me, but I've only tried the basic dough so far. I have made regular (round, peasant-style) loaves and wonderful baguettes from it. (Amy, just put on that Hanna Montana Live cd and bake away ... ) There's a youtube video that shows the authors mixing the dough on a local news...
I can't recall if anyone has mentioned this or not, but I wanted to mention the book _Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day_. (I have no connection with the book--have just been enjoying it.) Hope this link works: http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-...9673771&sr=8-1 I checked it out from the library, but am planning on buying my own copy. The basic premise is that you hand mix one of their basic doughs and the dough stays in the fridge for a couple weeks. When you...
I know a nearby florist buys a lot of "gift basket" items from the dollar store for his business. Tea, pastas, crackers, and lots of other stuff.
Fun thread! Things I've gained: WAY more than I have lost! LIVING MY PRIORITIES - I feel that I am finally "out" about being focused on family stuff, and not on work stuff. Now I don't have to fake caring about stuff I truly didn't care about...esp all the meetings I had to go to at work! I have a part time job (my kids are school age) now, but all parties involved know my kids/family come first with me, and that has been liberating... TIME - more time with my...