or Connect

Posts by Maddy123

My DH definitely has packrat tendencies, though he has gotten better over the years about getting rid of stuff. However, he would NEVER do it on his own. Mostly because going thru stuff can be tedious, and he hates to do things like that. I put his stuff in "limbo" in bags in the garage. Then I give him a month or so to go through it...which he virtually never does. So out it goes. As I've gotten older, I've gotten stricter about not having a lot of junk around.
I am in the "3 ring binder" camp also. I use the plastic page protectors, and can just slip a recipe in there in whatever form it's in. If I cut it out of the newspaper or a magazine, I can just stick it in there. I also have a folder where I put recipes as a "holding pen" until I can slide them into one of my binders. I have multiple binders because I have a lot of recipes. One of them is a "reference" binder for recipes that I haven't tried or only use occasionally....
One of my friends argues that it's all about convincing the mind and actions will follow. I used to kid her about her New-Agey ways, but over the years she has convinced me that some of her little tricks are very useful! From her I learned to say "It's so EASY to ______." Like, "It's so easy to take a few minutes to clear off the counter." "It's so easy to wash the dishes right now." "It's so easy to take 15 minutes to sort this bookshelf." Try it...it helps! ...
Interesting poll & topic. I consider us "middle class" and my DH and I are both well educated. But my family growing up was in a lot better shape economically, I think. Their mortgage payment was a smaller portion of their income. We took lots of vacations and my parents had more disposable income than my DH and I do. I just think the situation is very different in terms of the economy then and now. When I was younger, I expected that by now I would be more...
We moved into an area where we didn't have family, and where most people have an entire extended family to help out. It seems like at my children's school, there are always grandparents, aunts, uncles picking up or going to school plays, etc. And someone to call as a last-minute sitter or in an emergency. I am totally envious of those who are in that position. Everyone who is listed as an emergency person on my children's school's list has tons of family. So while I...
We do quite a lot of container gardening on our deck. We also have a garden bed, but our deck gets great sunlight. And it's so convenient (esp for herbs that I use in cooking) to just step out on the deck from the kitchen and snip something. Because we do a lot of containers, we have a small irrigation system that automatically waters the plants. This is certainly not necessary at all. But plants in containers need a lot of watering because they can't search for...
I gave up a big salary and a very flexible job (with no summers). But the job also came with a LONG commute and lots and lots of stress. My husband had a temporary raise in salary and that helped make it possible for me to leave. But he is now close to his "regular" salary again and we definitely feel the loss of my income. He has a potential new job pending plus I am trying to find a part time job (around school hours...my kids are now both in school). But in the...
Growing up, my father put a big hunk of foam cut to fit in the opening of the fireplace. (He worked at a chemical plant and the guys who worked in foam cut it for him...but you could buy some and do it.) It was kind of like upholstery cushion but extra thick. He wrapped black fabric around it and put on a spider web made of sequins. Then we stuck a fake spider in the middle. It was cute! I haven't thought of it in years. The kids always played with the spider. ...
PT sounds like a great option. Good luck with everything!
When I was a WOHM, I had a cleaning service some of the time. It was great to walk in the house after they had been here. ALL the rooms had been vacuumed that day, the hard surfaces mopped, all bathrooms clean at the same time. Now that I am home, I would say the household is more organized and there is certainly more "domestic" life going on (cooking soups and bread, have time to go thru closets, etc.). BUT I don't get *everything* clean at the same time very...