or Connect

Posts by Openskyheart

Congratulations on your pregnancy, Mynetname! I'm glad you've heard good things about The Rock. Onemagicmummy - regarding your son - anyone can study ballet, but not anyone can be a professional ballet dancer. If your son is interested, ballet would be a great thing for him to study. Ballet is also the foundation of many forms of dance, and often required for jazz/tap/musical theater students. I'll just warn you, though, I had no idea what I was getting into...
Glad to hear another positive reference for The Rock, Mynetname. I did some research on the various SIs that even accepted 11 year olds, and then made a list of those she could audition for that had good reputations for caring for the young ones in the dorms, and had excellent instruction. I'm glad to hear that you have a good opinion of it. It's a bit daunting to be taking my dd across the country, and leaving her there for a month, but exciting at the same time....
My dd, 11 1/2, has been studying at a ballet studio for 3 years now, and was at a recreational dance studio (ballet, jazz, hip, hop, tap, etc.) from the ages of 3 until 8 1/2. Ballet is her life. My dd is at the ballet studio 5 days a week, and at her "old" studio once per week still so she can keep up with jazz dancing - her second love. This summer she'll be attending her first "away" summer intensive. She'll be boarding at The Rock School for Dance Education in...
I'm sorry to hear about your feet, LCB. I never had ballet dreams as a child, but I understand what you mean. I played classical piano from the time I was 7, and played 20 + hours per week in my junior and senior of high school. I was on a scholarship with a professional teacher, etc. She died when I was just starting to develop a repetoire to audition for music conservatories, and for whatever reason, I didn't go find another teacher at that time. I never did...
We are very relaxed, eclectic homeschoolers. We sometimes go for long periods without doing anything schoolish at all, then one or the other, or both kids will go through a period of more schoolish type work. At those times, we do use curricula. We use whatever works for them at the time, and if they hate it, we don't use it. Materials we've used and liked: Math Miquon (my son loved it, daughter hated it) Cuisinaire rods (daughter loved them, son hated...
I Quote: would provide my sexually active teens with birth control or access to birth control. I have some concerns about hormones in BC pills, but that doesn't mean I would prohibit them... it just means we would discuss and research the options. I would also make sure there were condoms available. As would I, Unschoolnma, in a heartbeat. But that's not the issue the OP was dealing with. Her dd (to the best of her knowledge) is not yet sexually...
I love your summer of Healthy Lifestyle plan, and I concur with Roar and NiteNicole that one of the best things you can do for your DSD, but more importantly for yourself is to stop the discounting of your self and your body. I am not overweight, but I have been in the past, and I keep it in check by watching what I eat. Sometimes, I cut back, weigh, measure, etc., and my dd will notice. I explain to her that I am not "dieting" so much as getting my healthy diet back on...
JaneyD - I just reread your post (as I'm sure is true of most, if not all of us who've read your dilemma, I've been thinking about it). In your original post, you said that you have a feeling that your dd does not need to get this involved with the girl's activities. I think you should trust that feeling. There are mamas who've posted on this thread who have said they would feel comfortable with their own dd's going to PP with the friend - If they asked for opinions,...
Hmmm...I don't think I'd let her go. My daughter is in the 6th grade, and I have son who's an 8th grader. I'm trying to just check in with my gut feelings, and my first instinct is if this were my dd, I'd say no. Now I'm trying to figure out exactly why I'd say no. I think it's this: First, I just think she's too young. If she were a few years older, even 14 maybe, I'd be more inclined to say yes. Second, I'd be uncomfortable with my dd getting information on birth...
My dd loves Limited Too, and since she's also a skinny-minny, it is literally the only place in our small town where I can buy pants that fit her. Otherwise, we have to drive 45 minutes to the big shopping center to go to Old Navy, where they are usually out of her size anyway- now that gives me a headache! We've learned to work the Two Bucks, go directly to the sales racks, etc. I agree that the regular prices are ridiculous! Now that she's getting older, she's...