or Connect

Posts by HipGal

We are planning a trip to visit family over Christmas. Pet sitting around here is about $75/day for two dogs. For a seven day trip, that is $525!  That would be the biggest cost of the trip by far (using miles for the flight and staying with family). What would you do?   We have friends who have watched the dogs for a weekend here or there. But I wouldn't feel comfortable asking them to take them over Christmas. We could hire someone to just come to the house a...
I don't find phonics boring.    Think of it like cracking a code - knowing that certain symbols match certain sounds and you can put them together to make words you already know. It can be fun for kids. Also playing around with letters (Example: you have the word "at", what letter can you add to the front to make the word "cat"? Now change a letter to make "bat"). What I do find boring is those worksheets where you circle things that start with a sound, etc - those are...
My kids go to a private school that is not officially Christian, but does teach "Christian values". I am glad that they teach positive values to the kids and I haven't felt that the school has focused on religion. But, the school does attract more Christian families because of this. Dh and I are athiests, but we tell our children that (1) They can believe what they feel is right and (2) They need to be respectful of other people's beliefs.   Today my son said that...
Thanks so much for your replies. It is a really frustrating situation! But maybe I can convince myself that the apartment renting would work. It does say they want it to be "the residence where the parents and children live". So I don't want to be dishonest, but we really would move into the district once school started. But I'm guessing they still wouldn't be happy if they knew we didn't live there yet. They also need 2 forms of proof, so we would need to open a banking...
We are thinking about moving to another state to be closer to family. However, it is really important to us that our kids continue in a language immersion environment. There is an immersion public school in the city where we would like to move. However, without already living in the neighborhood, we have zero chance of getting a spot. But, we don't want to move without knowing if the kids would be able to get into the school (even if we were in the neighborhood, the...
Thank you all for your advice so far. I thought I would give a bit of an update. I have had a few adventures with the mom (who "accidently" sent an email to the entire parent list of my daughter's class that referenced our disagreement). Also her mom started texting me (?!). It's weird. I really enjoyed the two weeks we had off from school! I was really bummed to go back. I haven't really had any interaction with the mom since we have been back, but I feel stressed three...
Our school has limited parking and the parents often park at the red curb and a couple parents park in the two handicap spots. Though I've been aware of this for a couple years, I don't usually see it because dh usually does the morning dropoff. It does bother me, but I don't know if I should say/do anything about it. On one hand, normally I feel it isn't really my business where people choose to park. On the other hand, both my kids are at the school and if there was a...
I would be upset, too. I don't know how someone can teach Kindergarten and not understand what is perfectly normal behavior for a Kindergartener! It isn't like he was hurting anyone or yelling out "This is so boring!" or jumping up on stage. ;)  Also, she should know that Kindergarteners all "care about their own wants".   I would let her know that you felt it was inappropriate and if she wants to talk to you about your child, she should request a conference with you...
One_Girl,   I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. The teachers were not saying that my daughter should not be friends with this girl. I was asking them to help her expand her friendships to include more than one. They mentioned a few names of girls they thought would get along well with my daughter and treat her nicely. I think it is a good idea for her to have some friends who treat her nicely to balance out the one that doesn't. The teachers were in no way...
Thank you for your replies. It does help to hear that we should stay at the school. I really love the school and haven't been able to find a plan B school in the area.   Unfortunately I don't think they will leave the school. The kids going to the school is one of the things the parents fight about, so by keeping them there, the mom is "winning" in her opinion. I think she would do anything to keep them there if only to prove to her husband that she "wins". I don't...