or Connect

Posts by nicolelynn

Yes, WIC does vary from state to state =(. We've had it for a few months for our foster kids. In CA we can get soymilk and tofu, but you have to get an RX from an MD. So if you have dairy allergies, easy, but I'm guessing it's not always easy to get a RX from a Ped for being vegan by choice. I recently went vegan but my kids and DH are lacto-ovo at home. Hopefully one day I can get an RX for soy from WIC.
Queenjane, I too like to talk about foster-adoption. But I know I have to start being sensitive to my kids now that they are old enough to understand some.  So far we haven't got any negative dialogue, I am sure I will blow up if it happens. I do get, "where are they from?" a lot...they are expecting the answer to be somewhere in Africa. "They are from Riverside county (our county)". I am still amazed at how many people understand private domestic infant adoption...
I identify mostly with UU, but am currently attending an Episcopal church. Mainly because where I live our UU church is all white and all rich, I just am not down with that. We are a trans-racial foster-adoptive family. While the Episcopal church is decidedly more "Christian", it IS liberal (my gay former co worker attends our church) and our parish is working class, mostly hispanic with a bilingual liturgy and a black priest.  If we ever move to a bigger city with a...
The American Dietetic Association says vegan diets are perfectly fine. Pretty sure they are THE authority on nutrition as far as courts are concerned. Blood work and a written diet plan could only help, as others have mentioned. Unless your child is unhealthy or looks incredibly malnourished you have science on your side. 
Yes, Mennonites are suppose to be pacifist, and most still are. However, some branches are leaving that behind.
I've had my 2 yr old foster son (who will be 3 next month) for almost 6 months, and was 22 lbs at placement. Doctors at the time said he was underweight, but were not alarmed since he wasn't losing weight. He has grown a bit now but hasn't put on a lot of weight. I'm not sure if he was preemie or not.
I do understand that theoretically gut healing takes years, I spent a year researching gut health every day since I was so desperate. In the end I realized I could wait around eating bone broth for years or try the medication. I tried natural methods for a year and a half before taking the medication, that's how adamantly I was against it. It worked and my gut is fine now. Not saying a path of healing the gut naturally doesn't work for anyone, or that bone broth doesn't...
Also, my teeth continued to decay whilst off all grains and almost all sugars (even fruit) for several months, so we can't blame wheat there. Bad teeth just run in my family so I am not going to stress myself out trying to find a super food to cure them.
I personally found bone broth to NOT be a super food for me. I also consider myself former TF, eating a mostly whole foods flexitarian diet. Yeah, basically *gasp* mainstream nutrition. All I know is I was healthy, ate TF for 2 years then got really sick with colitis caused by a parasitic/fungal infection. Supposedly something all the ferments, probiotics and bone broth was supposed to protect my gut from. I do understand health problems can originate with my genes...
We're well below the thrifty plan with 2 adults and 3 children ages 2,3 and 4. Even including our WIC benefits for our foster children which total about $150, then we spend $400/mo. The thrifty pan would have at us at about $650/mo so we're doing $550/mo. We are in expensive so Cal, don't buy many organics anymore and eat flexitarian. When I was working, pre-kids and we were eating TF and even more specialty diets like SCD or paleo type ones just DH and I were in the...