or Connect

Posts by MacGirl

Ear plugs. It's a stage, they'll get over it. Unless a sibling is there to egg them on They like to practice their voices. They like to see the reactions they get from it. They like to see how long and how loud they can go. They're learning I tend to try and stick something in his mouth, like a popsicle.. something neat, fun, plays with senses, etc. Keep them occupied with something they find very cool. But, distraction works fairly well for my 21 month old (the...
I'm very disappointed. I started reading the regular Positive Discipline book and really liked it. (this was the first introduction I had to any kind of positive or gentle discipline book) Then I left it somewhere and when I bought a new one, I got the one for preschoolers. I'm still referring to parts of it for solution-based things and such. I did buy a few other books since, and I'm wading through those. I'm also making a list from the book-suggestion...
If I dropped my friends over this issue, I'd have no friends left! Everyone in my circle of friends who had boys cut. Even after I emailed them with info (made me feel like I didn't get my point across well enough and failed the baby boys) I feel like I would like other people to accept me and my friendship regardless of whether they agree with my parenting choices (for the most part), and as a true friend to them, the most I can do is offer information and be there for...
I might handle this like I would if she hit another child. After she hits, go immediately to the dog, making over the dog, "Are you OK??, Did you get hurt?? Poor doggie" This models empathy. Then, suggest that she might make the dog feel better if she hugs the dog gently, or rubs the dog nicely, and says, "sorry". If the behavior continues, I might use a time out (not as punishment) for a cooling off period. When I use timeout for my 3 yr old, it is because he is...
I'm not comparing them nearly as much as SIL is!!! But, when she does, I get very self-conscious about how I am handling things, and how I'm percieved, as well as how my kids are. (I know, I should just let it slide!) I do agree with you, there are threads of days that I feel totally in sync and right on track. Then there are weeks that I just feel awful, and Collin (my 3 yr old) seems like he's being raised by a pack of wolves. During those times, I keep finding...
I keep reading about a suggestion I like, but I feel like my kids are too young for just yet... To hold a family meeting, where you can all bring things to the table. This will help her feel heard, and might help you get your point across.
Quote: Originally Posted by MommyDOK I don't know much about cc or the tribe you speak of, but I do know that my dd has had trouble transitioning out of a very fun activity! I tell her before we get to the park that when I say it's time to leave then it's time to leave. We talk about it a little. Then, when it's time to go, I prepare her by saying I'm putting her little sister in the car and then her turn to get in the car. If she doesn't come,...
I really, really, really do think I'm being very consistent. However, I find it difficult to always quickly come up with a choice for him to make, or a creative way to suggest something, etc etc. So I might be stuck in a rut. I don't know. However, I'm noticing a pattern (for example) where when he says something to me in a very mean tone, and I ask him to think of a nicer way to say whatever he wants, he only does about 70% of the time. But I have to keep reminding...
who thinks it's funny the guy's last name is De Cock?