or Connect

Posts by grniys

Quote: Originally Posted by junipermuse So if it's only for two nights I'd just leave the toddler with big bro and the in-laws and have fun. I definitely think it's too much travel to make it worth taking the baby for so a short trip. If it's for a week, I would just skip it all together. Or I suppose if you're not paying for it, you could just take the baby with you and know that even if it's not your dream Hawaiian vacation at least you're getting a...
With the GI bill the way it's transferred may depend on the branch. With Marines and Navy I know the servicemember has to commit to 10 years of active duty for the spouse to be able to use it. Now sure about the other requirements. My dh is handling all of that. I'm interested in hearing what ACS tells you when you talk to them. I hope you keep us updated. And I think it's great you're looking into all this now. It's always better to have a plan B and not need it than...
I haven't read through all the replies, but if the actual machine you're considering getting is the Singer Simple I highly recommend NOT. That was the first machine I owned and it was horrible. The tension would never adjust correctly, and at first I assumed it was user error but it wasn't. I've never known a single person to have a good experience with that machine. But, to sewing machines in general... it really depends. If you can be frugal about it, then sure. It...
We have an extra life insurance policy we got on dh (he's a Marine) when we got pregnant with ds1. It's through USAA and I think it includes about $50,000 (I think!) in disability insurance or something like that. I figure, if dh gets injured we have that and dh will be medically retired so he will get some money from the military for that every month forever. Plus I think he may be eligible for unemployment (a close friend's husband actually just went through what...
Old Navy has boxer briefs for the littles? I did not know this! How have I never seen them before??? We do boxer briefs and occasionally boxers for our three year old, but I have the toughest time finding cute pairs in size 4! Thanks for the tip!
Mine are 19 months apart and DH was in Iraq when both of them were born. For the youngest, a good friend agreed to keep him while I was laboring and in the hospital. She babysat him every time I had a prenatal appointment so he got used to her house, and we hung out extra often to get him more used to her. It went really well.
Quote: Originally Posted by nextcommercial Eventually, it will stop being enough. You will want something else. Something that's yours only. Maybe something that's only yours and your husband's. It could be anything from enjoying fitness to off road racing. But, it probably won't include your children. Or anybody's children. But, when it's time, you will know it. And, when you start to feel like you need something else, go for it. If you...
I make a lot from the Poor Girl Eats Well site. My favs are this chickpea curry dish and a chili dish... I don't remember their actual names. I serve the curry with rice and the chili with homemade corn bread. When coconut milk is on sale I pick up several cans. I sautee some onions and garlic and cook some red lentils with curry, cinnamon and a few other spices I don't recall at the moment, lol. I don't have the recipe in front of me but it's a pretty basic coconut...
Quote: Originally Posted by Om Girl I just received my financial aid award letter and the amounts of aid offered just cover my tuition and books. How do people afford to go back to school when they have kids, a mortgage and a car payment? I don't understand how others make this looks so easy. It's not easy. I'm going back to school in January and I am crunching the numbers now, too. I really don't know how other's do it. For me, I'll be...
Wow, that is a huge amount for a tiny home! How much is your BAH in your area, if you don't mind me asking? Have you considered moving one or two towns over from where you are for cheaper living expenses (if they are cheaper). My dh is also military and we recently bought in SoCal. We ended up moving out of the city so dh has to commute, but we love our house and it's a lot bigger than one we would have if we lived in the city. I tend not to focus too much on % that...