or Connect

Posts by La tia

Thanks for your response. I understand that by drawing blood, the dr. can tell if you are a diabetic. So, I'm encouraging my friend to have her son checked out. I know that it's much easier nowadays to have diabeties than even a few years ago. I'm hoping it's not the case, but I really find his symptoms suspicious. la tia
I'm checking into this for a friend. Her ds consumes amazing amounts of liquids, I'm talking AT LEAST three medium sized sippy cup per sitting when eating a meal, and then often more in-between meals. I've also observed my friends ds shaking following a small glass of OJ. Her ds will also appear quite lethargic after eating, nad then quite hyper again. I'm also witnessing intense mood swings. He's 24 months. Any ideas? La tia
Currently, my friend will tell her son "no sweety, that hurts mama," and put him in a time out when she's in the home. The problem is when she's out and about, and he becomes violent towards her in public. I suggested some sort of restraint to give him. He seems to understand that it's awkward when in public places, because he really attacks her when they are in sticky situations (like going through the airport security system). My concern is that it will only get...
thanks for your thoughts. I'm wondering if the fact that my friends son is adopted has something to do with it. In describing his behavior to antoher friend, she thought he sounded like he was having rages, rather than tantrums, which generally stem from anger (rages).
Melaniee- I have a suggestion regarding the screaming, although I haven't tried it yet myself (my 17 month ds hasn't begun screaming yet). I read about this concept in Dr. Sears, and maybe you've seen it. Dr. Sears suggests that when your child screams, to immediately go outside and set your child on the grass, concrete, driveway...whatever, and scream with your child. Do this a number of times. Eventually, when your child screams again in the home, talk about that...
A Canadian friend has told me that there are class-action law suits going on right now in the states regarding Cloromine in city water. The high levels of Chloromine have been linked to early miscarriages (before 8 weeks) in women who drink large amounts of tap water while pregnant. I have not seem this information readily available in the states. Anybody seen this? Do you know where I may find the information? La Tia
Given the dr. said a slight red ear, I would wait a couple of days before using augmentin. Try homeopathics for a few days, (I've used the garlic/olive oil drops) and if his ear isn't better by the 18th or 19th, start the antibiotic. That way you'll have a good five days to help the ear along. My son has had many ear infections. When a dr. now tells me a slight ear infection, I wait a few days. They then go away on their own. If your sons ears were flaming red, I...
Hi- I am the mother of a 17-month ds, who is rather mellow physically, but somewhat challenging emotionally. I have a close friend who is a single mom, who adopted her ds from India when he was 8 months old. He is now 2 years. He is just the opposite of my son - very physically active and challenging in that way. He throws many tantrums,which I understand is common for a child of his age. However, my friend's ds is very aggressive towards only her... he bites, pulls...
It's comforting to know that others have experienced similiar challenges regarding the family bed and their childrens' sleeping behavior. The responses, suggestions, validations, etc. have been extremely helpful, and I'm SOOO happy I've discovered this lovely 'chat room'. It's all quite new to me.. the chatting and the mothering. Thanks for responding! La Tia
Help! We’re having a family bed crisis. My dh and I have chosen to sleep family bed style with our first ds, who is now 15 months old. (We sleep in a queen) We’ve since been questioning our decision based on the following behaviors. 1 - ds wakes on average 4 to 6 times per night and generally falls back to sleep only after breast feeding. Upon trying to soothe him in other ways, his initial wake-up cries turn to full-out screams until he is offered the breast. 2 -...