or Connect

Posts by ammumom

numericmama, I have observed  the "out of the group" issue too. Media choices, gadgets (yes!! even the 5-9 aged group), brand names, and elaborate birthday parties, my kids are not used to these things. But I am proud of my family's choices and would not have it any other way.   zebra15, my dd(9yrs) is preparing to get into the swim team too. We do have a homeschool team, so hopefully she will make some friends there. I am sure your ds will enjoy the spring break...
Yes, that is a possibility too. I have heard those kids say things like 'my mom said that homeschooling is for losers' or 'so you are ms.know-it-all' etc. I don't get greatly disturbed by such minor things and trained my kids to take it in their stride, but now it is turning to physical assaults. So, we need to put a stop to that. Also moms say things like 'did you hear about that writing /art/ or some other contest...oh sorry...you homeschool ..so your kids cannot...
I have a 4.5 year old daughter and she also learns in a different way than my older one. For now, I do not follow any specific curriculum. I got the reading list  printed from 'five in a row'  website, and try to get the books from the library. I read to her and let her read small words or sentences. I also use "Math Start" series books (again from the library). They have story based math concepts and additional hands-on activities at the end of the book (more activities...
Thanks for your insights SundayCrepes. We are contemplating to join our local homeschool co-op (I don't know why we did not do that already) . May be, my kids need to make more homeschooling friends and move on. Due to this rude behavior of their old  friends, my kids are not very enthusiastic to play with them anyway.
Great thread. Glad to find all these great ideas. We use K12 curriculum for my 9 yo dd, as a base, but supplement it with a lot of other stuff. Some of the things that worked for her last year:   1]Life of Fred (Fractions) 2]Khan Academy (for understanding some of the math concepts) 3]IXL.com (Got a membership through a group that costed only $20 for the entire year. She got lots and lots of practice with this one) 4] Math Olympiad Contest Problems for...
Before pulling my older dd (9 yo) out of public b&m school, all the neighborhood kids used to play together at the cul-de-sac, regularly. Now a days though, I have observed increased bullying episodes, my kids being the targets. I have explained to my kids about bullying and how to handle it. But on a closer look, I find a lot of hostile feelings cropping up among the non-homeschooling moms too. Though I expected this, it is hard to find close friends and family changing...
Great thread Plarka. I blog at http://newlearningpath.wordpress.com  .It feels good to read the blogs of moms who share similar ideas.
Hi..I have a 7 yr old dd and a toddler. We are trying K12 through Georgia Cyber Academy for the first time , for my older dd. So far, we got our material. My dd's teacher is yet to contact us. So far, heard great things about the k12 from experienced users in this area.